PDA

View Full Version : Bad read?

prayformojo
06-30-2004, 06:33 PM
No read on the player at all before this hand.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero raises, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB bets, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero raises, BB 3-bets, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

At this point, in the face of my raises, I had him on two pair at least, but much more likely flopping a set after calling my pre-flop raise from the big blind. A very strong overcard flush draw, like AsKs was a distant third possibility in my mind.

Turn: (12.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB bets, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Hero raises, BB 3-bets, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

River: (21.75 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB bets, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 23.75 BB

Should this have been played differently?

Xiphoid
06-30-2004, 06:38 PM
Tough hand. Any way you play it, you're going to the showdown.

I'd probably play it the same way.

SomethingClever
06-30-2004, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

At this point, in the face of my raises, I had him on two pair at least, but much more likely flopping a set after calling my pre-flop raise from the big blind. A very strong overcard flush draw, like AsKs was a distant third possibility in my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that people will call with almost ANYTHING from the BB for just one raise.

I think his leading out on the flop means he caught something, but it could be as weak as middle or top pair. I'm guessing two-pair or weak 4-flush, though. I wouldn't assume set at this point.

On the turn, his 3-bet scares me a bit, because he could have just made the flush.

I just call the river, as you did.

What happened?

prayformojo
06-30-2004, 07:04 PM
BB shows As 7s (flush, ace high).
Hero shows 9d 9c (three of a kind, nines).
Outcome: BB wins 23.75 BB.

Hero chuckles coldly and makes a note.

SomethingClever
06-30-2004, 07:08 PM
What note did you make? I think I'd play the hand the exact same way if I was the BB.... wouldn't you say he played it right?

I mean, he's the first to cold-call your raise, but there were a couple of limpers that he could expect would also call, so he's getting decent odds only having to put up 1 SB to see the flop.

prayformojo
06-30-2004, 07:16 PM
I probably would have seen the flop too. It's the 3-bet on the turn that surprises me.

I will sometimes bet or raise the nut flush draw for value, but was this bet correct in spite of my raises pre- and post-flop?

SomethingClever
06-30-2004, 07:20 PM
I've been told by others in this forum to almost always bet, raise and cap if possible the A-high 4-flush on the flop.

prayformojo
06-30-2004, 07:38 PM
Well it's always good to learn something new. Is this true on the turn as well, or only on the flop?

Xiphoid
06-30-2004, 07:44 PM
I disagree with the way BB played this on the flop. His initial bet is correct to build the pot for his flush, but his 3 bet directly follows the hero's raise and thus scares off three potential pot builders who now have to call two bets to see the turn. Lucky for him, they all called the two bets, but most of the time this won't be the case.

bisonbison
07-01-2004, 12:04 AM
I would say that you both played this hand well. Apparently, the BB did have a read on the table. Lots of people will call 2 SB cold after calling 1.

ChuckNorris
07-01-2004, 01:09 AM
If you did put BB on a set or two pair, and not likely a flush draw (that's what I would be thinking after the flop 3-bet as well), then why not cap the turn? If it was heads up on the turn, would anyone have capped it at least then? I think I would, at least heads up.