PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a Hand

Pokergod
06-30-2004, 05:59 PM
Game: 10-20 Round of Omaha, round of HE, 1/2 kill for single winner of pot over $150

Opponents: Mixture of loose, tight, aggressive and passive. We all know each other, there is no one new at the table. Everyone knows me as a solid player who does not get out of line very often.

Situation: I'm on the button, MP has the blind, live kill of $15 posted. He is a very loose agreassive player who will raise with any two big cards here, or any two small suited, one gappers. All fold to him, he checks, all fold to me on the button.

My play: I had been setting this up all night by folding a couple of times on the button when everyone had folded to me, so I look down to see Q7o. Not a strong hand, but with $30 in blind money out there I have to take a chance now.

Now, when I raise I can guarantee the SB will fold unless he has a really good hand, especially since I'd been playing soft this evening. He's no dummy. The BB though is going to call with almost anything, and I know if I don't hit my hand big I'm going to have to outplay him, there's no way around it. He's not going to fold after the flop if he has any kind of a draw, even one over card.

I raise to $30, SB folds, BB calls, and original kill poster also folds, my read on him was correct, he had no playable hand.

Flop is 9-10-2 rainbow. BB checks, I bet, he raises, and I without hesitating make it three bets. This has either sold him that I at least have top pair good kicker, or he has a big hand and I'm dead. He calls.

It's now about 50-50 that he has at least top pair, or is on a draw of some sort, either over cards or a straight draw.

Turn is another 9. He checks, I bet $30. He calls. This was when I would have folded to a raise. Nothing changes in my mind. I'm betting the river no matter what card comes because I have no chance otherwise.

River is a 7, giving me two pair. He checks. Now I have something.. I almost bet out, but then thought he's calling with only something that has me beat. I check, he turns over QJs, and I have to show my Q7o for a winner.

Now, keep in mind, that everything I did here can be rationalized by knowing the players and taking advantage of a situation that I had been setting up all evening long.

I was fortunate that it played out like it did, but my reads were dead on. Push the pot to Shorty.

comments and criticism accepted.. let me have it.

-PG

Philuva
06-30-2004, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The BB though is going to call with almost anything, and I know if I don't hit my hand big I'm going to have to outplay him, there's no way around it. He's not going to fold after the flop if he has any kind of a draw, even one over card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would re-read what you wrote here. Seems like a perfect opponent to play good cards against and value bet the hell out of him, rather than tking crap against him and "outplaying" by simply betting every street.

bicyclekick
06-30-2004, 06:28 PM
I do'nt like your line. Q7o is a pretty shitty hand.
Fold pre-flop (you can make an argument for playing it, but blah, I don't really like it) and fold on the flop to the c/r. What are you chasing?

You got lucky and should be really happy with that.

Pokergod
07-01-2004, 09:36 AM
Probably right.

I did get lucky.

-PG