PDA

View Full Version : Flopped top set - so why didn't I ever bet?

Matty
06-30-2004, 03:47 PM
An average of 4 to a flop at this table. Semi-aggressive

Ultimate Bet 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls,

Flop: (8 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, MP3 calls.

If it were just one bet to me, I would have raised. However, I didn't want to scare anyone off.

Turn: (7 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Afraid of the flush here. Admittedly I am playing too many tables trying to clear a bonus or I probably would have raised. Would that have been correct?

River: (10 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 12 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12 BB, between Button and Hero.</font>

Stefan Prodan
06-30-2004, 03:57 PM
I would say the raise on the turn should be automatic, with a check-call on the river if reraised and the board doesn't pair on the river.

RickDecker
06-30-2004, 03:58 PM
I think a 3 bet on the flop may be a good idea. You are probably in front, and you'll be able to see how much your opponents really like their hands.

You said that the table was semi-aggy. Was it reasonable aggressiveness or unwarranted aggressiveness?

Cheers,

Rick

Bill Smith
06-30-2004, 04:04 PM
I think everyone here would agree you need to 3-bet the flop and lead the turn. Keep in mind you have the absolute best hand at this point, and you want to charge people who either think their hand is better or are looking to improve on future streets.

Now, when you lead the turn and someone raises again, then you have to get a bit more cautious with that 3rd club on the board. Some people would still 3-bet, others would just call it down. If he caps you on the flop, I'd put him on 22 or 33. If he just calls the 3-bet but suddenly raises the turn, THEN I'd fear the flush. Hopefully my 2 cents makes sense. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nothumb
06-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Grey,

The flush draws are coming along for the ride no matter what. I think you need to three-bet the flop when it gets back to you. Lead the turn even if the jack of Yugo comes off (actually, that would be a great card, since it ain't a club /images/graemlins/grin.gif).

NT

HajiShirazu
07-01-2004, 02:36 AM
What a great opportunity to put in a 3rd bet on the flop and be paid off all the way by worse hands who are drawing close to dead against you.