PDA

View Full Version : AQo vs pseudo-tricky SB steal. Slowplay?

PokerNoob
06-30-2004, 03:42 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) Its the end of the SB's first orbit. He's folded one river and has had three notable hands. He open limped MP2, only BB came along. Checked a K94 board through, raised the turn 8, then checked through the river A with KTo. Open limped UTG A8s, called down the raised ace rag rag flop none of his suit all the way to the river where he came in third to a better ace and an unlikely boat. Raised his BB to an LP limper, bet the KQ9 rainbow flop, checkraised the turn K and bet the river ace, his QQ boat beating LP's suited queen rag. I have not been involved in any hands since he sat.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls. He seems tricky enough that the steal might be in his repetoire, but I might be able to use his aggression against him later if I act weak/passive here.

Flop: (4 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls. Perfect. My only worry is him folding prematurely, so I just call. I don't want to scare him off if he's on trash and I'm not going to worry about the draws. Perhaps he will try his checkraise play if he has an ace.

Turn: (3 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls. Great, he seems content to bet. He may not want to try the checkraise without an ace, his bet here leads me to believe that he doesn't have an ace more than he fears a free card. If I raise, he may take me for a pair of aces and fold. OTOH, if he's got an ace, I may be leaving some bets on the table. I think he will bet the river and I'll raise there and call a 3-bet.

River: (5 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls. Well, the flush comes in. I don't think he'll three bet me with anything that beats me since he can't have the nut flush.

Final Pot: 9 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9 BB, between SB and Hero.</font>

He seemed tricky/aggressive, but with an ability to fold and a fear of aces when they could beat him. So...

Case 1: He has nothing and will fold if I play back at him - favors slowplay

Case 2: He has some decent non-ace holding, he may fold to or call down flop aggression - favors slowplay.

Case 3: He has an Ace. Favors fastplay.

Case 4: He has any holding but doesn't believe my aggression represents a hand that beats him. Favors fastplay.

I thought 1+2 &gt; 3+4 and the best slowplay was the river raise, since I might induce a river bet I wouldn't get otherwise by just calling along, i.e he'd fold to a turn raise but bet the river.

OK, rip into me for 1) metagame considerations, 2) possibly missing out on a big pot, 3) letting him draw cheaply, 4) a bad read, 5) whatever else you can think of.