PDA

View Full Version : Value Betting

DJGroove
06-30-2004, 03:32 PM
I was hoping someone could give me an idea of what "value betting" really is.

From what I can gather, if someone value bets the river they are adding to the long term gains of that particular line of play. If they encounter that situation many times, raising on the river will add "value" to that situation. Am I even close?

Thanks for the help.

stir
06-30-2004, 03:49 PM
Others may have a more complete answer, but this should help:

A value bet is any bet when you believe you hold the best hand. It is not limited to river bets.

For example, you hold A,Ks The flop comes K, 8, 5 rainbow.
You bet, and your bet her is considered a value bet, because it is very likely you have the best hand at that point.

SomethingClever
06-30-2004, 06:30 PM
This might be incorrect, but isn't it also a value bet when you have a drawing hand, but you expect to get better odds on your bet than you are drawing to?

Example: You hold A7 diamond. The flop is unpaired with two diamonds and five players are in the hand. You are about 2:1 to wind up with the nut flush by the river. You bet and everyone calls, giving you 4:1 value on a 2:1 shot.

Is that called something else, or is it a value bet?

Stefan Prodan
07-01-2004, 11:26 AM
From what I understand, a value bet is any bet which is +EV with as many callers as possible.

Greg J
07-01-2004, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From what I understand, a value bet is any bet which is +EV with as many callers as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I think value bet is a pretty generic term for pumpig up and pot where you are getting good odds, either imediate or implied. TP with either good or top kicker is usually a great reason to bet for value, and so is a four flush on the flop when you have the Ace of that suit and a couple of opponents. Open ended straight draws are also good times to pump in money.

It will loose you money in one hand, often more than half the time. But in the long run value bets should be money making plays. That is why you do them.

At least that is my take. If I' out of line some one will correct me.