PDA

View Full Version : What is Saddam being charged with?

jdl22
06-30-2004, 01:06 PM
One of the important principles in a democracy is that ex post facto laws cannot be written. Twice in the US Constitution it specifies that the congress and the states respectively cannot pass ex post facto legislation.

Article I section 9: "No bill of attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed."

Article I section 10: "Section 10. No state shall enter into any treaty, alliance, or confederation; grant letters of marque and reprisal; coin money; emit bills of credit; make anything but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debts; pass any bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law impairing the obligation of contracts, or grant any title of nobility." (italics added)

Indeed this principle is so fundamental that it was put into the first article and not into the Bill of Rights.

According to Cornell's web page ex post facto is defined as follows: </font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
Latin for "from a thing done afterward." Ex post facto is most typically used to refer to a law that applies retroactively, thereby criminalizing conduct that was legal when originally performed. Two clauses in the US Constitution prohibit ex post facto laws: Art 1, § 9 and Art. 1 § 10. see, e.g. Collins v. Youngblood 497 US 37 (1990) and California Dep't of Corrections v. Morales 514 US 499 (1995).

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read the cited cases and am not familiar with any case of this happening in the US or in the American colonies under British rule. The best example I have of this was in Spain during the Franco dictatorship. During the Second (and probably last) Republic, progressive laws were passed giving married couples the right to divorce. Many couples did so. When Franco took power he retroactively nullified these divorces and the subsequent marriages that occurred later. Among other things this created thousands of bastard children in an instant. Surely there are worse and more tragic examples of this, but I don't know of them.

So moving on to the present during the couple of days where Iraq has been sovereign Saddam has been under the custody of the US military. As such it would seem unlikely that he would have broken any Iraqi laws. When he was the dictator he was the law so surely he didn't break any Iraqi laws during that time.

Hence we either must have broken a very undemocratic ex post facto law or (what I think should happen) he should be turned over to an international tribunal having not broken any Iraqi laws.

Clearly Saddam is a war criminal. As such he should be given the same treatment as Milosevic. Politics seems more important than democratic principles.

J.R.
06-30-2004, 01:20 PM
The Iraqi interim constitution provision banning ex post facto laws.

"Article 15 [Rule of Law, Search, Seizure, Arrest, Fair Trial]
(A) No civil law shall have retroactive effect unless the law so stipulates. There shall be neither a crime, nor punishment, except by law in effect at the time the crime is committed."

Iraq Interim Consitution (http://www.oefre.unibe.ch/law/icl/iz00000_.html)

I suppose there were laws on the books outlawing many of the activities Saddam enagaged in, but that he was merely not prosecuted. Perhaps he will now be prosecuted for these acts.

sameoldsht
06-30-2004, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...it would seem unlikely that he would have broken any Iraqi laws. When he was the dictator he was the law so surely he didn't break any Iraqi laws during that time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no clue what the specific wording of the law is/was, but I heard this morning that it was against Iraqi law to attack another Muslim country when Saddam invaded Kuwait and that would be one of the charges against him. Of course that invasion opened Pandora's Box.

cardcounter0
06-30-2004, 01:56 PM
Not living up to his CIA obligations.
Sort of breech of contract.

Garbonzo
06-30-2004, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not living up to his CIA obligations.
Sort of breech of contract.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that was Osama, Saddam kept the deal...by using OUR chemical weapons on Iran....

elwoodblues
06-30-2004, 02:51 PM
murder?

paland
06-30-2004, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
murder?

[/ QUOTE ]
You can't say murder either since murder is dependant on laws. Otherwise you could charge every military commander that ever fought a war for murder.

Ragnar
07-01-2004, 05:25 AM
Paland suggests that murder would be an inappropriate charge for Saddam since military commanders aren't charged with it. That is generally true. However, there may have been executions in Iraq by his order without trial (I think there were but am not positive.) If that is the case and they are provable, murder would be an appropriate charge.

Ragnar

Ragnar

jdl22
07-01-2004, 04:25 PM
This is the key to the problem. If he ordered executions with no trial as dictator I don't see how a domestic law is being broken. It would seem to me that the dictator decides the law and that's it.

As someone pointed out earlier it could be that technically the laws were all still on the books and he simply ignored them but that's a serious legal technicality.

I still don't see how a dictator could break domestic law other than the coup that put him into power being illegal. By what the reporters are saying they are gathering evidence of the gassing of the kurds and so forth.

Mano
07-01-2004, 04:45 PM
I think Saddam's actions probably fall into the crimes against humanity or war crimes category. When oppressive regimes fall, the oppressors are routinely dealt with by the oppressed. I don't think the "since I was the law, I committed no crimes" defense will fly.

jdl22
07-01-2004, 06:45 PM
I agree that his crimes are classified under the crimes against humanity or warcrimes category. I think he should be tried by an international body and not by the Iraqis simply because trying him in this fashion isn't democratic and other war criminals such as Milosevic don't get the same treatment.