PDA

View Full Version : Hey mike l. and

JimRivett
06-30-2004, 12:07 PM
other fans of Pinks hot dogs, The Bike now sells your favourite hot dog. I have to let you know however, I tried one last night, and, well I wasn't impressed, they tasted a little salty for me, plus, at $3.25 and up, I don't think you get very good value for money. I'll stick to the Spicy Thai salad.

Jim

Six_of_One
06-30-2004, 12:52 PM
Jim,

I understand your point of view, to each his own and all that, but I'm afraid you're just wrong. The fact that you didn't appreciate the greatness of the Pink's hot dog is not because of any weakness in the dog itself; rather, it reveals a weakness in your ability to perceive true culinary genius when shoveling it down your throat.

On Saturday, if you're there, I will demonstrate the proper way to enjoy a Pink's hot dog (assuming this stand has all the right toppings available).

Scott

P.S. Salty is good /images/graemlins/grin.gif

astroglide
06-30-2004, 03:21 PM
i just had a chicago-style vienna beef dog at a jewish joint in st. louis. it was awesome.

mike l.
06-30-2004, 04:28 PM
im sure it's just like the one in hp, meaning it will have mustard, onions, chili, sauerkraut (amazing btw), cheese, and unimportant things like relish and ketchup. also they will have spicy polish dogs which are the nuts. unreal. now the one thing ive noticed both at the carts and at the real pinks is dont go there early in the afternoon. the dogs are much better if theyre a bit overcooked and soft. especially the polish dogs. so late afternoon is good or just before closing.

now if only they could somehow have the fries for chili cheese fries that would be heavenly... and if only they could have one at commerce! man that would be the nuts...

when bike starts getting mulitple 40-80 games i will come on over and check it out, otherwise it's commerce or hp for me. although i suppose i could go play at commerce and then hop over to bike for pinks and then back over to commerce. now that's a plan...

Six_of_One
06-30-2004, 04:58 PM
They probably won't have guacamole, which is unfortunate. Nothing beats a bacon chili cheese dog with onions, mustard, and mayonaise beneath the chili, and guacamole on top. If you haven't tried that, you should next time you're at the Pink's on La Brea. I've had it several times and I didn't drop dead, so I think it's good for you.

oddjob
06-30-2004, 07:26 PM
yes vienna hot dogs are the best. there is no comparison. i've been to pinks, and although it was good, it was not as good as a chicago dog.

mike l.
06-30-2004, 11:55 PM
ok yes guacamole is very good. it's also nice for a change of pace to get a double chili cheeseburger w/ guac and sauerkraut. what a mess but very delish.

astroglide
07-01-2004, 12:36 AM
do they have "slingers" in diners elsewhere in the usa? around here it's a couple breadless cheeseburgers on a bed of hash browns with 2 eggs covered by chili. awesome.

mike l.
07-01-2004, 01:10 AM
"do they have "slingers" in diners elsewhere in the usa?"

never heard of it.

i hope to some day try the bbq out in your area.

Rick Nebiolo
07-01-2004, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
im sure it's just like the one in hp, meaning it will have mustard, onions, chili, sauerkraut (amazing btw), cheese, and unimportant things like relish and ketchup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this the *exact* way you dressed it as described in that thread a while back on Other Topics? I was planning to have one that way in your honor but was too lazy to search for the thread.

[ QUOTE ]
now the one thing ive noticed both at the carts and at the real pinks is dont go there early in the afternoon. the dogs are much better if theyre a bit overcooked and soft. especially the polish dogs. so late afternoon is good or just before closing.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your experience is anything like mine back in Rhode Island, the fact that many of the customers have been out drinking makes the late night dogs taste better. In Rhode Island the only choice for the cultured man is the NY System Hot Weiner, a.k.a. gagger, which are usually consumed "all dah way" (http://www.pagesintime.com/ri/) with a coffee milk.

Here's another shrine to NY System Hot Weiners (http://www.bluewolfspirit.com/blog/000053.html). I'll have to PM fellow Rhode Islander John Cole on this

[ QUOTE ]
when bike starts getting mulitple 40-80 games i will come on over and check it out, otherwise it's commerce or hp for me. although i suppose i could go play at commerce and then hop over to bike for pinks and then back over to commerce. now that's a plan...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to slum a bit and play 20/40 the games have been looking good lately. I might be able to play games in top other than no limit Thursday evenings. Otherwise I'm there Monday and Friday days and Tuesday and Saturday evenings but will be pretty busy hosting no limit.

~ Rick

astroglide
07-01-2004, 01:46 AM
i've heard people talk about kansas city barbecue. if st louis has the goods, i haven't found it yet (but haven't exactly been looking). i would think i would have heard the chat if it was hot around here.

most people seem to eat bandana's, super smokers, or kc masterpiece when they go bbq /images/graemlins/frown.gif however, there is a bar in clayton called duff's or duffy's that has EXCELLENT bbq ribs - but only on saturday. i've been meaning to try out annie gunn's, that's supposed to be good.

mike l.
07-01-2004, 01:57 AM
rick,

i will be having one of them gaggers one of these days, it's definitely on my list of things to do before i die.

here's how you have a pinks hot dog (And remember it's important to get the timing right, the dog has to have really sat and steamed for a little too long so it's nice and tender):

"spicy polish w/ mustard, onions, chili, cheese, and sauerkraut"

just print that out and take it with you. and get the sauerkraut on the side i think. i tried that last time and it worked better. just dole out a glob of it for each biteful because the sauerkraut really disinegrates the bun otherwise and it's even more messy than the complete mess that it already is. wash it down with a coke. oh i better say this as well while im at it: dont ever get the mild polish dog, you have to specify the spicy. the mild is far too mild.

have fun. i hope to hear a report back from you.

Andy B
07-01-2004, 02:22 AM
Most Favored Drinking Partner is one of the world's leading authorities on barbecue (you wouldn't guess it by looking at him), and he has lived in both St. Louis and Kansas City. To hear him tell it, St. Louis barbecue just doesn't compare with Kansas City barbecue. I have been to Arthur Bryant's in Kansas City, and it is the stone cold nuts. There's a reasonable chance that Most Favored Drinking Partner and I will make the trip down there this summer, a mere seven hours each way, just to grab a sandwich.

All this talk about hot dogs has me almost missing Chicago. I love Minnesota, but the food usually leaves something to be desired. These Pinks dogs sure do sound good. I can see driving to Kansas City, or even Memphis, for barbecue. Going to California for a dog seems excessive, though.

Rick Nebiolo
07-01-2004, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
here's how you have a pinks hot dog (And remember it's important to get the timing right, the dog has to have really sat and steamed for a little too long so it's nice and tender):

"spicy polish w/ mustard, onions, chili, cheese, and sauerkraut"

[/ QUOTE ]

I printed your post out, cut it into managable size, and stuck it in my wallet. But this combination of toppings seems totally sensible. I remember somewhere on a forum (Other Topics?) you were raked over the coals regarding your choice of toppings (if I remember correctly, you included about three more items). I tried searching for the old thread but no luck (sometimes I think the search tool on this forum is missing a few screws).

[ QUOTE ]
just print that out and take it with you. and get the sauerkraut on the side i think. i tried that last time and it worked better. just dole out a glob of it for each biteful because the sauerkraut really disinegrates the bun otherwise and it's even more messy than the complete mess that it already is.

[/ QUOTE ]

"kraut" on the side it is.

[ QUOTE ]
dont ever get the mild polish dog, you have to specify the spicy. the mild is far too mild.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm of half Polish ancestry so I can take the spicy dog. But the only sausage I remember at my Bachi's was the Kielbasa.

[ QUOTE ]
have fun. i hope to hear a report back from you.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you come by the Bike and I can get away I'll treat you to one /images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ Rick

mike l.
07-01-2004, 03:21 AM
"If you come by the Bike and I can get away I'll treat you to one"

big time incentive! what's the biggest O8 game you spread? maybe i could come play that..

im off poker for the next month or two, but when i return i will try and come by and say hi. or we could just meet over at hp on a sunday night for one....

mike l.
07-01-2004, 03:23 AM
"These Pinks dogs sure do sound good. I can see driving to Kansas City, or even Memphis, for barbecue. Going to California for a dog seems excessive, though."

well if you come out there are a few other good things you could eat, not to mention a few okay poker games... but yeah that arthur bryant's place, that's the place i want to go to. i will one of these days for sure.

Rick Nebiolo
07-01-2004, 03:33 AM
i'm tired so i'll try no caps - it is a lot faster.

biggest straight omaha/8 is the 6/12 kill but the 30/60 or 40/80 Omaha/8 - stud/8 mix game goes most afternoons and nights, especially weekdays.

off poker? wow, hope you keep posting but i haven't had time to keep up with the mid/high limit holdem forum lately. for me it seems if you can't participate a lot, you lose incentive to participate at all. but i've been involved in some of the other forums lately so 2+2 is still a big part of my life.

we try to make it to hp on Sundays about two times a month so maybe we can hook up there. if you play pool the pool hall upstairs is a pretty good place to get away and relax and digest the pink's. i only play pool well enough to not look too bad.

~ Rick

(btw, had to capitalize Sunday, otherwise i might turn into a pile of dust)

Roy Hobbs
07-01-2004, 10:48 AM
Next time try Hebrew National....even better than Vienna, and that's saying something.

RH

oddjob
07-01-2004, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Next time try Hebrew National....even better than Vienna, and that's saying something.

RH

[/ QUOTE ]

i've had hebrew nationals many times. i buy them in colorado, because i can't find vienna dogs in teh grocery store. they are suitable, but in my opinion, they are nowhere near as good as vienna.

JimRivett
07-01-2004, 03:21 PM
Hello Scott,

Sorry, won't be there Saturday, you'll have Pinks all to yourself.

When the Vietamese guy on my left asked me how much the hot dog (it was a kraut dog) cost, I told him $3.25, his response was "Doh Mah, $3.25 for a hot dog!"

Jim