PDA

View Full Version : Help with blind structure

DVO
06-30-2004, 10:40 AM
At Hawaiian Gardens here in L.A., the $100 buy -in NL game has a $2 / $3 blind structure. Is this considered high? I know that PP is $1 / $2.

How should this affect my play? I try to be pretty selective about starting hands, but I'm wondering if I can be with this structure.

It's a 9 -handed table, although of course someone's often on a break.

Thanks in advance.

turnipmonster
06-30-2004, 10:42 AM
this is very high blinds. most of the nyc clubs are 1/2, 300 max. you shouldn't be playing many drawing hands or calling raises with drawing hands preflop, as you are usually not getting sufficient implied odds.

--turnipmonster

DVO
06-30-2004, 11:39 AM
"you shouldn't be playing many drawing hands or calling raises with drawing hands preflop, as you are usually not getting sufficient implied odds. "

That makes sense. Does the same logic apply for playing small pairs for sets?

I think this is a hole in my game - calling small raises with 7-7 down to 2-2, hoping for a set. Can I still do this in this high blind structure? My thinking is I need 10-1 odds to justify this. So let's say the raise is to $7; I shouldn't bother unless 1) I have position; 2) the raiser has at least $70; and 3) I think I can get that $70 at least?

My hunch is, I should be throwing these away more than I do.

Thoughts on the small pair scenrio, and when you play them, under this blind structure?

TIA, again.

turnipmonster
06-30-2004, 11:49 AM
position is not very important for a set, so #1 isn't so necessary. #3 is very important. set over set is very expensive, so keep that in mind when you're playing small pairs.

basically the idea is if you only want to be putting money in preflop with the best of it right then, because there isn't going to be that much money left to win if you make your draw. exceptions are big multiway pots, like if someone makes it 10 and there's 5 callers and you have QJs. easy call, despite the fact you are probably dominated, because you aren't playing for a pair.

fsuplayer
06-30-2004, 11:51 AM
If the guy is short stacked (or you are), then dont call a raise over $8 with a PP, but I am sure most of the stacks in that game are bigger than $100, bc that structure encourages lots of all ins and therefore rebuys.

I would much rather make a debatable call 8-1 or 9-1 odds with a small pair, than a suited connector.

[ QUOTE ]
I shouldn't bother unless 1) I have position;

[/ QUOTE ]
Position doesnt really matter with small pairs, just play them for set value and then figure out how to get the money in. Against any decent hand, the money will get in anyways, so dont worry about position with pairs.

[ QUOTE ]
My hunch is, I should be throwing these away more than I do.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would actually lean in the other direction, bc with a high blind strucure like that, you need to get some chips to play some good pots, so I would take 8-1 or 9-1 once in a while to be able to gather some chips to take on the big stacks.
If you call a couple raises with these pairs and miss, just reload another $20 or so back up to $100. Always keep the max chips possible on these type game. I recommend Buying $50 extra in red and putting them in your pocket. If you play a hand or two and dont win, just top off your stack so that when you do double up, its for as much as possible.

When you get $300-400 is when these type games get real profitable against worse players anyways.

Good luck and posts some hands when you get back.

FsuPlayer

fsuplayer
06-30-2004, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
position is not very important for a set, so #1 isn't so necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

I type slow, you beat me to it. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
#3 is very important. set over set is very expensive, so keep that in mind when you're playing small pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon, dont scare the kid. I have been playing alot of NL live/online and can count the # of times I have been set over set on two hands (only twice in live play).
Plus with these short stacks, that thought doesnt even enter my mind.
If it happens, it sucks, ni han, move on. I wouldnt even get upset about it.

And yes, with many callers of a raise, you can call with some dominated hands (suited ones anyways), just as long as you dont put in any more money w/o two pair or better (or pair w/ flush draw type hands). Throw away that unsuited broadway crap to a raise unless its AK.

FsuPlayer

turnipmonster
06-30-2004, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

C'mon, dont scare the kid. I have been playing alot of NL live/online and can count the # of times I have been set over set on two hands (only twice in live play).

[/ QUOTE ]

you're probably right. it has happened to me 3 times in the last 50 hours of live play, so maybe I am gunshy. I agree with small stacks it's less of a problem.

--turnipmonster

schwza
06-30-2004, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I shouldn't bother unless 1) I have position;

[/ QUOTE ]
Position doesnt really matter with small pairs, just play them for set value and then figure out how to get the money in. Against any decent hand, the money will get in anyways, so dont worry about position with pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've heard this advice before. can anyone explain it? my feeling is that if you flop your set it's a lot easier to get the money in in you're last to act. it's also important before the flop - it stinks to limp in with 55 and have to fold to a big pre-flop raise.

fsuplayer
06-30-2004, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i've heard this advice before. can anyone explain it?

[/ QUOTE ]

With a drawing hand, obviously you would love position to see how much you have to call, whether you can semi-bluff raise etc.
Even more important, if you have good draw, call a decent flop bet and then the turn blanks, what do you do then?

Drawing out of position sucks.

On the other hand, while it is obviously much better to have position with a set (isnt that true for any hand?), you dont need position that much bc you have a monster hand. Position would be nice, but just for the fact that you want the most money possible in the pot.
Esp. with these stacks, position doesnt matter much at all with a set.
If you spike a set on someones overpair, the chips will get in the center, regardless of your position.

[ QUOTE ]
it stinks to limp in with 55 and have to fold to a big pre-flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

People complain about hating to limp fold, but in NL i really dont think its that big of a deal.
Pairs should be played in NL from any position, so if there is a raise afterwards, you evaluate your implied odds and move on from there.
If the odds arent there, muck your hand and move on, the blinds are only a drop in the bucket in NL games.

Now calling a raise and then having someone else reraise, now that is annoying!

Hope that helped,

FsuPlayer

fsuplayer
06-30-2004, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it has happened to me 3 times in the last 50 hours of live play

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry man, that just sucks. December was the last time that happened to me in a live game.
My streak goot, your streak badddd...

Hope it turns around for ya.

fsuPlayer

turnipmonster
06-30-2004, 12:47 PM
I'm actually running great at the moment, thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif. on the set over sets, once I had the higher set and twice the lower set, so it hasn't been horrendous or anything.

--turnipmonster

fsuplayer
06-30-2004, 01:33 PM
Glad to hear you're dishing out the pain like the Turnipmonster we have all come to know and love...

BTW Why turnipmonster?

Fsuplayer (I go to FSU)