PDA

View Full Version : was this played correctly or weak?

kgrad5
06-30-2004, 09:25 AM
with the A showing and 4 callers i felt i was beat so decided to check call...

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero raises, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, Button calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7.70 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, Button bets, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

River: (11.70 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 11.70 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB doesn't show.
UTG doesn't show.
Hero shows Kc Ks (one pair, kings).
Button doesn't show.
Outcome: Hero wins 11.70 BB. </font>

djcolts
06-30-2004, 09:30 AM
I'm a fairly new player - so I'm playing along to improve - but I'm guessing that since no one raised you on your bet on the flop - that you needed to make a bet on the turn - especially since the 3 isn't a scare card here. Then, the turn betting after your bet would give you better clues on where you stood.

Bill Smith
06-30-2004, 09:31 AM
I would suggest betting the turn when nobody pushes back on the flop. Sometimes you can get an ace with a weak kicker to fold, and ,if someone raises, you potentially save yourself having to call a bet on the river.

Piiop
06-30-2004, 09:37 AM
I agree with betting the turn, then checking the river. A good reason to bet the turn is that hopefully the button will fold making you the last person to act on the river so you can check it thru.

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes you can get an ace with a weak kicker to fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, that's just not happenning.

tardigrade
06-30-2004, 09:53 AM
It really is hard to believe that not one of the four callers has an ace with a low kicker, and there isn't much chance for you to improve if someone has one. You aren't in position for a check-raise, and it's probably not possible to force everyone to fold. Unfortunately, I think this is one of those times where you just have to evaluate your opponents and what kind of reputation you have with them. I have to think, though, that you either have to bet the turn or check-fold. Either you have judged that you are ahead, in which case you should bet, or you are behind, in which case you should fold (since you have scant chance of improving). Check-call on the turn does seem to be weak play (something I'm working on improving myself).

Bill Smith
06-30-2004, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, that's just not happenning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you arguing this from your perspective or making a generalization about Party players? You and I wouldn't fold Ax for one bet, but I wouldn't have mentioned it if I haven't seen it happen...

Piiop
06-30-2004, 10:01 AM
You've seen someone on Party at these limits fold Ax on that board for 1 BB???

Transference
06-30-2004, 10:03 AM
I concur with everyone else. A very simple way of looking at it is if your going to call a bet on the turn anyway why not lead out?

Bill Smith
06-30-2004, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You've seen someone on Party at these limits fold Ax on that board for 1 BB???

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, about a week ago, though I'm obviously taking my opponent's word for it. I'm sure it doesn't happen often, but it's hard to know.

I also had 2 people open fold to me yesterday when an ace hit on the turn and I had bet the flop. Granted, I'm sure neither had an ace, but it's amazing how some people will just assume a hand even at this level if you've shown some preflop and flop aggression.

nothumb
06-30-2004, 10:46 AM
I saw someone fold an ace-weak kicker on Party's .5/1 once. There was a four flush on the board, with the ace being one of the suited cards, and it was capped on the turn when the 4th club hit, and it was three bet to him on the river. He announced his hand and said "Guess you guys sucked out on me again." (I had AK with the K /images/graemlins/club.gif)

/images/graemlins/grin.gif Yeah, he called the 3-bet pre-flop too.

Hoping to fold out any ace in this case is like hoping your hot neighbor falls down in the shower and cries out for your help and then rewards you with a hummer. Even if it DID happen, people wouldn't believe you.

NT

Bill Smith
06-30-2004, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hoping to fold out any ace in this case is like hoping your hot neighbor falls down in the shower and cries out for your help and then rewards you with a hummer. Even if it DID happen, people wouldn't believe you.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/blush.gif Can I have the title of the movie you took that from?

From an argumentative standpoint, you're all correct that it isn't a very good reason to bet the turn, but we all agree he should bet the turn.

nothumb
06-30-2004, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can I have the title of the movie you took that from?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of me own head boy-o.

I do agree, bet the turn. While you have to fear an ace, you can't really give up just yet. Bet the turn and check the river if there are still 3 callers.

NT

kiemo
06-30-2004, 12:03 PM
Since when does Poker Stars hide the hands of the players who go to showdown?

SomethingClever
06-30-2004, 01:29 PM
Considering the passivity of the flop, I bet this until I'm re-raised.

You'll probably lose your fair share to Ax, but I find that most players let you know when they have top pair or better by re-raising.

If he's slowplaying, he's just saving you money.

Songwind
06-30-2004, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since when does Poker Stars hide the hands of the players who go to showdown?

[/ QUOTE ]

If they used the converter, it may not be poker stars.

I just posted a hand recently and the converter put in that my opponent did not show her hand - she did. She had to, I called her, not vice versa.

ZootMurph
06-30-2004, 02:00 PM
As the preflop raiser, I'm going to bet until the cows come home (or someone raises me).

I admit that I would be worried about an A-weak kicker, but my continued betting MAY dump out that hand. If anyone had A with a decent kicker, they would have probably raised you by now. So betting the turn is the only real option in my mind. And again on the river if still no one is fighting back. Also, consider that you are going to call no matter what, so you may as well be the aggressor and bet out.

Jaran
06-30-2004, 06:15 PM
Hey kgrad,
I would bet the turn, planning on check/calling the river unless I spike a K. It is possible there is a weak A out there with that many callers, but I'm not going to fear it on the turn unless someone gives me reason to.

-Jaran

RED_RAIN
06-30-2004, 09:45 PM
Say you bet the turn (which I probably would have, since there was a flush draw on flop you can count some of these hanging it, not happy with 5 callers), on the river with 4 callers...I wouldn't call a bet unless everyone else folded and it was only then to you and THE ONLY if the read was good on the opponent to bet with a draw or weaker hand.

I disagree with the logic with betting this river since you would call one and you would rather be an aggressor. Since these players are just calling you, it would be easy to be shown Ace with a weak kicker, being the logic that you won't call since if someone bets into 4 others on the river, more than likely not a good spot to bluff for them. They are going to show you an Ace. So bet or fold turn, then check/fold river, maybe crying call against certain player.

HajiShirazu
07-01-2004, 02:05 AM
I would have bet the turn hoping for the button fold and the free showdown. In addition if you are ahead, this is the last chance to collect an additional bet from any possible draw holders.