PDA

View Full Version : River betting question

01-07-2002, 01:17 AM
I am playing 20-40.

It is a tough game.

I raise in middle position with AQ.

Only the SB calls. He is very agressive when he is involved in hand usually.

Flop comes KK8 rainbow.

He checks, I bet.

Turn Ace.

He checks, I bet.

River 8... (board now AKK88)

He checks, what should I do and why?

Results if interested later.

Cheers,

Keith

01-07-2002, 02:49 AM
Very few players I know who play 20-40 would check every street here with a King. Most would fear you would check the river without an Ace and would bet, thinking you'd call with an Ace. I'd bet for value here, putting him on an Ace or pocket pair. Don't think he'd still be calling on the turn with an 8 once the Ace hit (unless he has pocket 8s, in which case I think he'd bet the river).

01-07-2002, 04:47 AM
I agree with Andy inasmuch as I don't see him getting to the river with a naked 8 (i.e. without a flush draw to go with it...but even then, he can't like a flush draw with that scary board). This means that if you were ahead on the turn, you are still ahead.

How loose is the blind? You say that he is usually very aggressive, so it seems unlikely that he has a king, and he's not betting it because of kicker-concerns (I point this out, because if that was the case, pairing the 8 would alleviate his kicker concerns).

I would bet the river for value...value because your kicker plays (I may check behind, depending on the player, if the board was A K T T 3, where your kicker doesn't play).

Since your opponent is very aggressive, I would bet, and I'd be prepared to pay-off if he decides to checkraise you (though I may be in the minority with this).

how'd it turn out?

Worm

01-07-2002, 11:30 AM
The thing about this hand was I just couldnt put him on a hand to be check calling all the way.

I was as sure as I could be he didnt have a king (He would have reraised me before this) and I was pretty sure he didn't have an ace, as knowing the player as I do, I feel he would have check raised the turn.

So, what did that leave me? An eight or a pocket pair. Now, if his pocket pair was bigger than an 8 I am 99% certain he would have reraised me preflop... so betting the river seemed pointless as he wouldnt call with a counterfeited pair (although as I type I have just realised he might call hoping for a split pot) and would beat me with an 8.

So, I checked.

He showed A9 and I missed a bet /images/frown.gif

Being from the UK I am a pot limit player, just starting at limit, and this is where I finding difficulty. I see traps behind ever check and every bet, which in potlimit if I fall into them, I lose my whole stack... but obviously headsup in limit, the worst that can happen is I lose one bet.

Message to self.... must try harder.

Cheers,

Keith

01-07-2002, 01:24 PM
You said he was aggressive but you did not indicate that he played this poorly. The flop call is just plain awful poker by him. I would have bet the river.

01-07-2002, 01:55 PM
what about checking the turn?

either he has a gutshot, pocket pair, an 8 for 2 outs, no clue/hope, or he has a King. you are way ahead or way behing here.

making two pair with his 8 kicker is counterfeited by the KK on the board and you having an A.

catch a bluff on the river from unimproved crap like TJ, etc, and get value bets from stuff like TJ that does hit a pair on the river.

does the gutshot possibility make a turn bet mandatory?

on the river, playing it how you did on the turn, your check is best most of the time. what worse hand will call here that could call on the flop?

01-07-2002, 04:09 PM
"I was pretty sure he didn't have an ace, as knowing the player as I do, I feel he would have check raised the turn."

Not necessarily with the two Kings on board. Most of the time, in limit hold 'em, I find it's best to assume an opponent's play means what its most obvious meaning would be. A guy checks, it's because he has a hand worthy of a check; he calls, it's because it's only worthy of a call.

Good luck.