PDA

View Full Version : 0.5/1 six handed - quite a few things here

TheCat
06-30-2004, 05:14 AM
Quite a few things here:

I have been trying unsuccessfully, for some time, to beat the 0.5/1 dollar 6 handed game NLHE on ‘The Gaming Club’. A typical table has two or three very loose and quite aggressive players one tight passive guy and one good tight aggressive.
Bluffing and semi-bluffing usually doesn’t work so I’ve cut down on these plays. One very common play I’m having trouble with is a bet on the flop after I’ve made a pre flop raise. I often raise pre flop I believe in making them pay to see the flop with trash. Say I’ve raised pre flop from SB and got one caller. If I’m holding AK and the flop comes rags. I’ll bet about the size of the pot here. I’m not bluffing as I’ve probably got the best hand. Many players will often call whatever they are holding, be it no hand no draw. So you never know where you stand. If another rag comes on the turn you have a difficult choice. If you check they will bet and you then can’t call. If you bet again it’s a very risky bluff. It’s not much easier if you have position they will just check call. Oddly, if they check raise it’s almost always a bluff as they slow play a real hand even one that is vulnerable to an outdraw.

To illustrate I’d joined a table and got AK first hand in SB I raised to 4 got one caller. Flop came three rags with two hearts. I make a larger than pot sized bet which was called. Turn was a rag. I bet more than the pot again which was called. River was 2 of spades. I’ve only got 10 dollars left so I bet this which is called without hesitation. Opponent has A2 of hearts. He said – “Nice try” I said “How was I to know I was up against the worlds biggest calling station” he replied – “True”. Yeah I know bad play like this is good for you in the long run.

The loose players are constantly trying to steal, so you do need good values to play. However playing shorthanded makes it rather harder to wait for good values as the blinds catch up with you. (I’m wondering as I type how true this is).
Sometimes a maniac or near will join, this seems to simplify things as it’s then just a case of isolate and bring down or get wiped out in the process.

These games are a potential gold mine as play is so bad, if I master them my pension fund is secure. I’m also thinking there is something about these games that is so hard to beat I’m better off passing here like the German Army did to the Maginot Line in WWII. Yet again I’m thinking if I can beat this I can beat anything.

The contradiction between the poor play and the difficultie of beating is really frustrating. I just don't get it.

I seem to have a talent for tournaments and have won far more in these than I’ve lost in the ring games. Tournament play to me seems much simpler. There is a view that good Tournament and Cash players are different breeds. Perhaps you can’t hope to be good at both.