PDA

View Full Version : Stars 15+1 Turbo vs. Party 10+1

aesic
06-30-2004, 04:10 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find a specific enough answer.

What are the differences in strategy, skill, etc. between Stars 15+1 Turbo vs. Party Poker 10+1. How does having only 9 people affect play compared to PP? And also, how long do the Turbos normally last.

A big reason this question came up is because I realized that I have over $200 in bonus at Stars, and I would essentailly be playing without a Fee, as SparkMan recently pointed out.

Thanks for the replies.

-aesic

aesic
06-30-2004, 04:19 AM
I just looked at the payouts for the 9 person Turbo's at Stars. After some very rough calculations it seems like the 9 person format (compared to Party's 10 person) favors the person who gets more firsts, and is worse for the person who gets more 3rds (ie, if you get more firsts, play at Stars, if you get more 3rds, play at party). Granted, your goal is for more firsts, I'm just curious if these observations are correct.

-aesic

SparkMan
06-30-2004, 04:52 AM
I actually like the $15+1 turbos at PokerStars better. The players are a little tighter early on but they don't play on the bubble any better than in Party $10+1. I've only played 45 $15+1 turbos which isn't a big sample but so far my ROI is 40%. Plus I'll be getting my bonus when I get enough points. I definitely outplay the opposition on the bubble which is why I like PS turbos. On Party if you don't find a hand by the 100 or 200 blind round you've got maybe 600 chips and the other remaining players have at least 2000. It's hard to win the blinds with that small of a stack. At PS when crunch time comes you don't seem to be as far behind if you haven't won a pot yet. Probably because its 9 handed. The only time I alter my bubble play is when its 4 handed and there's a short stack that will be all-in on his next blind. Then I will usually only play a premium hand for everything against another big stack. In general though I am usually trying to win and will settle for 2nd or 3rd. If you get a good chip lead you can steal a lot of blinds because almost everyone is afraid to finish fourth. I've seen players that are 600 blind with only 500 remaining fold. And they're SB for 300 the next hand. In my opinion the key is to go all-in with any hand you're going to play on the bubble and put the decision on the other guy.

holeplug
06-30-2004, 07:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And also, how long do the Turbos normally last.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm currently playing the 6+.50 turbos and they usually last between 30-40min.

2planka
06-30-2004, 09:21 AM
Hey there aesic,

Only been playing HE for a bit over a year. Been playing the 15+1 turbos for the past four months or so. Though I generally agree that the skill level is superior to Party's $10 SNG's (tighter play early and more sound raises), I still see lots of whacky plays.

The blind structure is tough in these Turbos (increases every 5 minutes) which can be rough during a bad run of cards. Also can be unsettling if you have a slow poke at your table. At Stars, if you timeout your hand is mucked (a rule I prefer to the Party timeout/all in), but the 30 - 45 second delay can be costly because of the blind structure. That said, the T1500 starting amount compensates for the 5 minute levels to some extent.

I do like the speedier pace, though, since I only play recreationally and I can sneak a tourney in when I get home from work most nights. Longest tourney at this level for me has been 65 minutes.

Only been tracking ROI since 14 May (just 61 SNG's for me) but so far I'm at 38%. Been on a bad run. Just one ITM finish in my last 6 SNG's. It happens.

These tourneys have helped my game, though. I've been trying to escape the weak-tight stage and the pace of these really requires more aggressive play, IMO.

Not sure if this is the response you're looking for.