PDA

View Full Version : A High Form of Life: The Winning Player

Dan Mezick
06-30-2004, 03:00 AM
OK, I’ll say it: if you can play winning poker, the whole world is yours for the taking.

You are superhuman.

You are a master of your impulses. You have learned to conquer your weaknesses with discipline. You know your weaknesses, and are honest about them with yourself.

You are introspective, because you have learned that without introspection, you cannot win at poker. You analyze your game with intensity whether you are winning or losing.

Especially when you are winning.

You understand others, because you understand yourself. You have done your homework.

You are courteous to others, because that is the winning style.

You are careful to keep your judgements to yourself, as they may change.

You know when you are looking at superior competition. And you avoid it completely.

You know when to shut up. And you get paid well for exhibiting that behavior.

You keep promises to yourself, and in so doing, you have developed the winning attitude.

You have figured out that the harder you work, the luckier you get. The know that the fact that people suck out on you when you play is simply an indication you are playing correctly. You like it when people suck out. It means they were behind in the hand. You get irritated when you suck out on others, because it means you were behind, and wrong in your assessment of the opponent’s hand.

You have mastered risk and reward. Your life is typified by positive expected value.

You can be successful at anything. But you may not have realized this yet.

You suspect that playing poker fulltime for money is a colossal misuse of your talents, and your valuable time.

You love poker because of what it continues to teach you.

StogeyMike
06-30-2004, 01:39 PM
Very nice.

I see much of myself in your essay, especially in the last line about how much I have learned and continue to learn about myself and others through playing this game.

Well done...

Mayhap
06-30-2004, 02:22 PM
Wow, What a post!
Ctrl + S
Thanks,
/M

BaronVonCP
07-01-2004, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You get irritated when you suck out on others, because it means you were behind, and wrong in your assessment of the opponent’s hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love sucking out. Especially when I know I am behind.

Great post btw.

Clarkmeister
07-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Agreed. I love very little in poker more than the spectacular suckout.

jdl22
07-01-2004, 05:00 PM
Do you love both ends of the suckout?

When it comes to suckouts I enjoy the ones that lost me Sklansky dollars and (hopefully) don't tilt from the ones where my Sklansky bankroll just doubled up. Still working on loving them. Actually it is a little entertaining in a sick way when you get sucked out 3 times or so in a short period of time. That third one becomes hilarious.

tiltaholic
07-01-2004, 05:16 PM
n/m

ElSapo
07-01-2004, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your life is typified by positive expected value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this a lot.

ElSapo