PDA

View Full Version : Jim Brier Doesn't Bluff

01-05-2002, 11:47 PM
Another hand from Jim's January 4 Card Player article:

You're in the cutoff with Tc-8c. You limp behind an early position limper; small blind calls and big blind checks. 4 players.

Flop is Ah-Qd-4h. Everyone checks to you.

Jim advises checking because of the possibility of flush and straight draws, among other reasons.

Again, disregarding the play pre-flop (which I don't like), I would probably take a shot at this pot for one small bet. Why wouldn't someone with an Ace or a Queen, or even 2 hearts, have not bet on this flop? Anyone with a straight draw has only a gut shot and may not take one off with such a small pot. A small pocket pair will most likely fold to a bet with this flop.

It would be different, I think, if you raised preflop. Then I'd fear someone had an Ace or a Queen and was checking to the raiser, or would be more likely to take one off for the size of the pot.

01-06-2002, 02:58 AM
One reason I wouldn't bluff here is because one of my more sophisticated opponents up front will realize that I am taking a shot from the button and will check raise me. I didn't show any strength before the flop (the reason you hate this play), so why should they give me credit for strength now?

01-06-2002, 04:08 PM
Will this bluff work 1 time in 5? Against 3 opponents who can clearly see your position and are going to understand the likelihood that your bet is a bluff?

I don't think so, but you know, I've been wrong before.

I just don't think this is one of those times.

01-07-2002, 02:21 AM
Andy,

I had Jim's article torn out and laying on my desk but never got around to posting. This one seemed close and generally I wouldn't bluff here unless I hadn't bet in a while, was winning, and thought my weak opponents were intimidated by me.

BTW, I didn't like Jim's play before the flop either, but I'm not sure we didn't like it for the same reason (I would fold).

Regards,

Rick

PS I hope Jim realizes we want him back posting and just hold him to a higher standard then writers like Roy West /images/smile.gif .

01-07-2002, 02:41 AM
Exactly why I like Jim's articles so much: they're all meat and potatoes. Specifics, not generalities. Plus there is plenty to think about and discuss unrelated to the point Jim's making about the hand (i.e., the play of the hand before the decision to bluff or not bluff on a subsequent round).

BTW, I agree with the fold pre-flop (bet you thought I would raise /images/smile.gif )

01-07-2002, 02:58 AM
Andy,

Once I thought about it, I realized you would fold too. I'd want one more opponent (with this hand) in the cutoff, or the button AND a very weak limper and blinds, or a little more high card strength to call.

BTW, I don't think Jim would call with this hand before the flop in a real game unless he was against a weak limper. I would think some of these hands are just to set up the problem he is trying to illustrate.

Regards,

Rick

01-07-2002, 05:29 PM
There's no doubt that many of the threads have lost their appeal without Jim's input but I don't blame him one bit for leaving. He put in a tremendous amount of time answering beginner's questions, clarifying complicated concepts and adding valuable insight to threads that involved you and skp. But, once he made it known he was working on a book with Bob Ciaffone the hosts, who have benefitted the most from Jim's participation started taking potshots at him.

Yes, it's mason's site and he can do as he wishes but showing ingratitude towards Jim was not one his finest moments.

Since many of the threads are now missing input from an elite poster I find the info suspect and unhelpful. Not exactly a step forward for 2+2.

Regards,

SammyB