PDA

View Full Version : Checkraise checkraise... and I don't studder

Haupt_234
06-29-2004, 04:31 PM
MP1 is a LAG who pretty much bets everytime he is checked to.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks,

Flop: (3.33 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

River: (10.66 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 12.66 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12.66 BB, between Hero and MP1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (12.66 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 4s 4c (three of a kind, fours).
MP1 shows Js Qh (one pair, queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 12.66 BB. </font>

Now obviously it worked in this instance, but does anyone shun this type of play with the flush draw out and the risk of giving a vital free card? I was about 70% sure that MP1 would bet again due to his LAG tendencies and what I have seen from his play. I also put MP3 on the flush draw, where giving him a freecard would lose me atleast 1 BB.

Just curious on thoughts about this particular play. I have done it a few times lately, once with top set which lost to the runner runner flush (who was "cleverly" lured in by myself /images/graemlins/mad.gif).

Haupt_234

bdk3clash
06-29-2004, 05:22 PM
I think on principle alone you should have attempted to check-raise the river. I used to think that the "hat trick" (check-raising all three postflop streets) was the ultimate poker play, but I'm now on a quest to achieve "the cycle"--which is the "hat trick" plus a limp-raise preflop.

In moderate seriousness, given your read I think you played the hand well. Obviously, this type of play is incredibly player-dependent.

Haupt_234
06-29-2004, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think on principle alone you should have attempted to check-raise the river. I used to think that the "hat trick" (check-raising all three postflop streets) was the ultimate poker play, but I'm now on a quest to achieve "the cycle"--which is the "hat trick" plus a limp-raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Sadly, this exact thought process went through my head as I looked at the buttons on my screen during the river. I wanted 3, but I couldn't get greedy.

Haupt_234

Muckahaihan
06-29-2004, 05:24 PM
When he bets the turn, in my mind, the chance of him having a flush draw would go way down. Usually flush chasers get in line once raised and then only bet when they hit.

I'd check-raise him all day long.

Haupt_234
06-29-2004, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When he bets the turn, in my mind, the chance of him having a flush draw would go way down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had MP3 on the flush draw, not MP1.

Haupt_234

Muckahaihan
06-29-2004, 05:36 PM
Even better. If you know the MP1 is going to bet, make the MP3 pay as much as possible to make his hand. Where's the problem?

Muckahaihan
06-29-2004, 05:39 PM
The hat-trick is a beautiful thing. I've only been fortunate enough to be able to use it once, but I still remember the hand fondly.

tolbiny
06-29-2004, 06:58 PM
Looks good,
though what do you think the chances are that he will raise you if you bet?

Haupt_234
06-29-2004, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
though what do you think the chances are that he will raise you if you bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

He seemed to be the type that only raises with a made hand, but bets when checked to with nothing. I agree with where you're going with this, the fact that 3-betting the flop or turn would gain more bets since the flush drawer is likely to call anything. But I just didn't think he would make that raise.

[ QUOTE ]
Where's the problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

After the responses I recieved, I think the only problem here is that it's no hat trick. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Haupt_234

Muckahaihan
06-29-2004, 07:22 PM
One other thing I like about the double/triple-check-raise is that it sends out a signal that your check isn't always a sign of weakness.

It's nice to plant that seed in your opponent's minds.