PDA

View Full Version : Everybody's favorite - JJ

spacemonkey57
06-29-2004, 02:45 PM
Weak tight table (32% flops most pots around 4BB). I'm not really sure why I didn't just get up from this worthless table. Anyway, since nobody had been raising pf I immediately thought the three bet meant aces or kings but I wasn't positive. I was going to try and check raise the flop to see if I'd get three bet. After the button's raise I was sure I was behind to at least an overpair or trips. Is this weak tight thinking, or was I right to fold instead of calling two cold on the flop.

Ultimate Bet 0.50/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds.

River: (11.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13.75 BB, between MP1 and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Button (13.75 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP1 shows Kh Ks (one pair, kings).
Button shows 9s 9d (three of a kind, nines).
Outcome: Button wins 13.75 BB. </font>

B Dids
06-29-2004, 03:31 PM
btw- In honor of ZeeJustin's friend, I'm now calling JJ the "claw hand".

Bet the damn flop. Once it's two bets back to you, I think you should call down.

MP1 played his kings awful too...

You both would have ended up losing, and that sucks, but you want to me more agressive with those overpairs than this. You're still ahead of some of hands that 3-bet you preflop.

chief444
06-29-2004, 03:42 PM
I think check/raising the flop as opposed to just betting out is a bad idea here considering your position relative to the pf 3-bet.

As far as the laydown, if you were very confident in your reads I think it was good. I don't know many weak/tight players who 3-bet pf (MP1) or raise the flop (Button) with hands that you beat. If they are truly weak/tight opponents then I think you will usually be holding the 3rd best hand with two outs here.

spacemonkey57
06-29-2004, 04:43 PM
OK checking the flop was a bad idea. Truth be told I was looking to get away from this one as soon as I got three-bet pf. If I bet the flop, MP1 raises, and then the button three bets am I safe folding? Wouldn't a three bet by the button indicate he can beat a pair here? This table had been really passive.

citizenkn
06-29-2004, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the damn flop. Once it's two bets back to you, I think you should call down.

MP1 played his kings awful too...

You both would have ended up losing, and that sucks, but you want to me more agressive with those overpairs than this. You're still ahead of some of hands that 3-bet you preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that betting the flop is needed (something I learned here), but at a table that has been this weak and tight, a three bet pre-flop, followed by raising on a rag flop, tells me that a pair of jacks is no good. I think if you have a very good read of a table and it's players, it's ok to lay down overpairs like this. Just because you're playing micro-limits doesn't mean everyone overplays 10-10 or A-K.