PDA

View Full Version : Bet the river here?

Chiefs Fan
06-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Recently started playing 5 and 6 max games so looking for advice on my play.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks,

Flop: (5 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, MP calls, Button calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, Button calls.

River: (9.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9.50 BB, between Button and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (9.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ts 8s (one pair, tens).
Button shows 4h Td (one pair, tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.50 BB. </font>

Zele
06-29-2004, 01:12 PM
Yes, bet the river. You've seen nothing out of him since his flop raise, and the typical player in these games will just commit to calling you down with bottom pair or even A high.

x-ray
06-29-2004, 01:24 PM
He went into call down mode after you three-bet him on the flop. I think it's a clear bet.

Does anyone go for a check/raise on the flop?

Thanks,
Ray

Bad Beat Coming
06-29-2004, 01:37 PM
I bet the river, absolutely, for the following reasons: If you check and he bets, you won't (or at least shouldnt, IMO) fold. If you bet, you give *him* the opportunity to fold -- for example, another 10 (which, indeed, he had). Finally, if you have the discipline to fold to a raise (if, for example, he had K10), then I think betting is the right play.

Chiefs Fan
06-29-2004, 01:47 PM
I thought possibly I'm against a better T, 2 pair (I felt most likely), possibly a flush draw or possibly a made straight (least likely) or maybe I was up against something like A9s with flush and straight potential.

So many people are passive and when I bet the turn (if he had 2 pair) perhaps he thought I'd made a straight and was just going to call me down. I bet the turn because I did not want to give a free card here and if I was against 2 pair I have lots of outs here. When the K came on the end, if I was going to bet and was raised I most likely would have called the raise. Since he called the turn I figured he must have something worthy of calling and the K may have helped him, my hand didn't improve, so I felt it was worth a call but maybe not a bet with a chance to be raised.

Is my line of thinking correct here?

deacsoft
06-29-2004, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone go for a check/raise on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with the flush draw out there.

Zele
06-29-2004, 04:33 PM
The decision boils down to this question: will he bet more hands that he will call with, or vice versa? The probability of your having the best hand is a different (albeit somewhat related) question. If he's a passive and loose caller (consistent with his play and the behavior of lots of players in these games, particularly on the later streets), you need to bet.