PDA

View Full Version : Bankroll Question...

MercTec
06-29-2004, 10:44 AM
OK, so based on what I have read here, I think I want to give 6/12 at the Borgata a shot. However, I normally don't play at these stakes, normally 3/6 or 2/4, which I have the bankroll for (by bankroll i mean other peoples money and none of my own). 300BB at 6/12 is $3600. I have around half that for my poker bankroll. I'm single with few expenses so I can handle a 300BB swing at this level, but I don't plan on playing this level online, just whenever I take a trip to AC, which isn't too often.

Question is....does the soft game make up for my lack of a full on 300x BB roll to give it a shot?

NutCrackerr
06-29-2004, 11:56 AM
So you have around $1800. at 6/12 that's 6-25bb buy-ins. I think you have plenty to sit at 6/12 but if you bust out of your first couple of games you should strongly consider dropping down.

rory
06-29-2004, 01:10 PM
You are not going to starve if you go broke-- why bother playing lower stakes if you think you can beat the higher stakes. I assume you have a job and can replenish your bankroll if you go broke, so just play the $6/12 game and don't worry about it. This 300 BB bankroll stuff is only applicable for the situation where if you lose your bankroll you will no longer be able to play. That doesn't apply to people with jobs other than playing poker.

I have friends who make 100k a year who are good players and are grinding it out at .50/1 because they don't have 300 BB in their bankroll yet. WTF. Everyone, if you can afford it, buy into the biggest game you can beat. That is how you make the most money.

turnipmonster
06-29-2004, 02:09 PM
there is something really satisfying about building up your online bankroll from $100 buyin. I play higher stakes when I play live than online, but my online bankroll is still well below the levels I need to play the 15/30. so I play the 3/6 and don't take money out and watch it grow.

--turnipmonster

chief444
06-29-2004, 02:47 PM
I play .5/1 or 1/2 online and typically 10/20 live and have a good job so I guess I'm really screwed up. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif But part of that is I don't trust putting any meaningful amount of $$$ into any offshore internet site. I don't mind at all putting in a very small amount and going from there. Paranoid to say the least but that's just the way I am I guess.

midas
06-29-2004, 05:26 PM
For this limit, I would bring 30-40 BB for every day you wanted to play. If you lose 40BB in the first day, take a break and reload the next day. If you lose your limit 2 days in a row at 6-12 - you are either very unlucky or you need to re-evaluate your play.

If you're a decent player and put in at least 6-8 hours a session - your downside is minimal at this limit.

highlife
06-29-2004, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Question is....does the soft game make up for my lack of a full on 300x BB roll to give it a shot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Soft games actually require a bigger bankroll (the swings are more dramatic each way, alot more suckouts) so don't think of it like this. Nonetheless, 150BB for a couple of days of play is just fine. Go for it if you think you can beat the game.