PDA

View Full Version : how could i have gotten more form this hand?

kgrad5
06-29-2004, 09:32 AM
micro table on pokerstars, im bb with JJ 7 limpers, flop comes J 10 4 rainbow, i check to see if someone has a hand, checks all around, turn comes 3 i bet, 2 callers river comes 3 completeing my boat, i bet the river, 1 call

easypete
06-29-2004, 09:40 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I'm hoping that you raised pf.

Bet the flop.

Other than that, you did good, and use the converter. (converter) (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

kgrad5
06-29-2004, 09:46 AM
i didnt want to raise pf incase i hit, i figured i would make more if i hit and no one knew my strength.. was this a mistake? i would love to use the converter but i dont know how to use it with pokerstars.. i pmed bison so hopefully i will know how soon heh

chief444
06-29-2004, 09:54 AM
Raising pf and betting that flop could mean anything including just overcards. This would have probably won you far more than you got by waiting until the turn to throw a bet in. Playing deceptively against opponents who are for the most part unobservant will only lose you money.

Songwind
06-29-2004, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i didnt want to raise pf incase i hit, i figured i would make more if i hit and no one knew my strength.. was this a mistake? i would love to use the converter but i dont know how to use it with pokerstars.. i pmed bison so hopefully i will know how soon heh

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if your opponents were thinking enough about your PF play to put you on a hand with the PF raise, which one would they pick?

You might have AK,QQ,TT, AQs or something like that - raisable, but missed the flop.

easypete
06-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Here's the thing about raising pf. You have a very good starting hand (one of the best). With a table full of limpers, almost all will call you. This does a few things:

1. It ties most of the players to the pot (now the pot is huge 16 SB w/ 7 limpers and you). This is how to build a pot for this hand.

2. Once you raised pf, and you come out betting, what information are you conveying? Really, nothing. They all expect it. So, just about everyone will call or raise with any drawing hand, pair, 2 pair, smaller set, etc.

3. If you raised pf, do not check here, that will clue other players into the strenght of your hand more than betting will.

Without the raise pf, you've got none of this. Your bet on the flop may scare more players away than a bet on the flop after you raise pf.

One word of caution. Just because you raise pf, this should not tie you to the hand. Post flop play is still very important. If that flop came out AK4 w/ a 2-flush, be ready to fold to a raise or 3-bet (especially with this many still in the hand).

As for the converter. Request the hand history from PS. Copy the text from your email from the whole hand and paste into the top panel of the converter. Check the boxes in the upper right hand corner for the information you want and click the "Convert Hand" button. Copy the text in the bottom panel into a post. That's about it.

Rico Suave
06-29-2004, 10:36 AM
yeah...what he said.

--Rico

JerseyTom
06-29-2004, 10:36 AM
You flopped the nuts, but your hand is not invincible. Bet the flop and 3-bet/cap if given the opportunity; don't let gutshot or back-door draws see a cheap card. Your main concern should be winning the pot, not winning more money.

What if a 9 or Q slid off on the turn? Now someone may have a draw worth staying with, whereas they may have folded the flop.

Jaran
06-29-2004, 12:35 PM
Hey kgrad5,
I would raise this pf, and bet the flop. Nobody is gonna fold pf for one bet, and most are going to call your flop bet also.

-Jaran