PDA

View Full Version : Question for MM: What do you consider a 'typical' game?

nomdeplume
06-29-2004, 09:07 AM
Hi all,

This is a copy of a post I originally posted in the "books and software" section, but in their reply someone suggested I post it here as there will be a number of people who have a view on it. It was originally intended for Mason Malmuth, but I'd value anyone's input. Cheers.

I've been studying HEPFAP 21st century edition (superb book by the way) and I have a question regarding the hand rankings. Firstly, you often talk about a game being 'typical', 'tough' or 'loose'. Now, I know that you explain what you mean by this in the book, but (unless I've missed it) you don't quantify this in terms of the preflop action. How many players on average would need to be seeing the flop for the game to by 'typical' for example?

In the updated edition of HEP by David Sklansky the same hand rankings occur and he states that "I am assuming a full game of eight to eleven players and moderately tight play (an average of about four players staying for the flop)." However, just a few pages on he says "I have assumed a typical fairly tight game with four to six players in the hand before the flop". Now I know that this isn't a big difference, but an average of four is not 4-6. So which is it, an average of four or an average of 5?

I was also reading a previous post of yours where you stated that you would play T9s from early position (a group 4 hand) in the games that you play, so clearly you play in 'typical' games too (and also follow your own advice, which is encouraging! /images/graemlins/grin.gif).

Could you please advise me what preflop action you consider to be 'typical', 'tight' and 'loose'?

Personally, I have always considered 4-5 preflop to be 'typical', 3 or less to be 'tight' and more than 5 to be 'loose', but I just wanted to check what was intended when the book was written, and whether what constitutes a 'typical' game has changed in recent years. I'm not even sure it's possible any longer to categorise games like this, particularly online, since sites differ so much in this respect, even at equivalent limits.

Any advice will be gratefully accepted.