PDA

View Full Version : Free flop w 92o in the BB

esknights
06-29-2004, 09:05 AM
Last night playing 3-handed .25/.50 NL on Party.
Button ($24)
SB($60)
BB-me ($106)

Button calls, SB completes, and I check w 92o.
Flop: 272
Checked to the Button who bets $2, SB calls, I call, planning on CR turn.
Turn: K
Checked to button who again bets $2, SB calls, and this time I raise to $8. Button calls and all of a sudden SB wakes up and pushed his remaining $56 in.

What is your move?

Thanks

ClimbRock512
06-29-2004, 09:27 AM
I don't think you are going to be able to get a reasonable answer from anyone here. The easy answer is Fold. You aren't getting great pot odds, so you have to be pretty sure about your decision to call. You are most likely beat, possibly by someone slowplaying a flopped boat. The only way you could call this is if you had a great read on the player. Maybe you have a lot of JokerTracker stats on this player and he is always trying to steal pots with scary boards. Just remember, your pot odds aren't great. You have to call a lot to win a little, so make sure you are very sure about your decision otherwise just toss it, you are probably beat(at least outkicked)

esknights
06-29-2004, 10:52 AM
I don't know why I won't get a reasonable answer. Anyway, I did fold and the Button called. SB took it down with 24 so my hand would have been good.

ClimbRock512
06-29-2004, 11:09 AM
You won't get a reasonable answer because the obvious answer may not be the correct one. The obvious answer is fold. There are too many hands that beat you. The correct answer was to call. But seeing as we have no information about the player whatsoever, how would you expect us to say call? Had you provided us with information about how the player had previously acted, maybe we would be able to give you a better answer. Given a random player, folding would be correct in enough situations to make it the best move.

I quickly did the odds on paper, so they could be incorrect, but you are getting about 1.3 to 1. You need to be correct about 45% of the time. I think that you'd be correct to fold AT LEAST 75% of the time. Even if if its 60% of the time, you are still incorrect to call. On top of all that, the button could have you beat as well. Smaller chance of this, but definately not out of the question. See what I mean about not being able to give you the correct answer in this sitiuation? Had you a read on this player making you 60% sure that you were ahead, then you are getting closer to the odds required to call. Also, don't forget that the player could draw out on you, even if you were right, so make sure you figure that into the odds as well.

Bottom Line: Fold unless you have a good read on him.

bingledork
06-29-2004, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't fold trips in a 3-handed game.

Richie Rich
06-29-2004, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The obvious answer is fold. There are too many hands that beat you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is HORRIBLE advice! Only hands our hero is losing to are KK, 77, or A2/K2/Q2/J2/102/72; so out of 169 possible holdings, he's only losing to 8 of them in total.

When you're playing shorthanded poker, you have to play any catch/draws aggressively. I would've called his all-in without even having to think about it...especially at the Party Poker low limit stakes.

schwza
06-29-2004, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
especially at the Party Poker low limit stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd give him a call and expect to be shown a K or a 7. if you assume he'd complete w/ any two cards (and i don't know if you knew this at the time) and believed his play meant "i definitely have a 2" you're still about 50/50 to win.

tubbyspencer
06-29-2004, 12:56 PM
If he's got a boat - why does he over bet this pot that much? Looks to me more like TPTK or even K7 trying to protect his hand. I call every time here - shorthanded and low limits makes it easy.

esknights
06-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I debated the call, but I really thought he had a 2. Then it was just a matter of kicker. Of course as tubby points out, if he had the boat I could expect a reraise, but probably much smaller than an all-in.

ClimbRock512
06-29-2004, 01:16 PM
Doesn't it seem odd that someone would push there stack that was 3x the size of the pot with a caller and someone raising big? I would expect him to have something. You never do know on Party, I'll give you that. But what hands do you really have beat? Just about as many that beat you. And many of those hands even a poor player isn't going to be stupid enough to push with, you obviously have something. OK so even if there are approximately an equal amount of hand that you have beat and that have you beat, that still isn't enough to call. You have to figure if a T,J, Q, K, A, or 7 hits the river, you are splitting, at least, so that decreases your pot odds. Then you have plenty of ways for them to outdraw you, either filling with their kicker if htey also have a set, or if they have just a pair, they could fill again for a higher boat. Obviously you'd want to call if you knew that you had the better hand, but keep in mind, your chances of coming out of this hand by winning the pot must be higher than 45%.

I still think you should fold to a random party player, having no read or prior knowledge of the player whatsoever.

Richie Rich
06-29-2004, 02:04 PM
I hear what you're saying, but let me make it as simple as possible. If you really had KK/77 or 2-x (x either a 7 or higher than a 9), wouldn't you want to milk your opponent for as much as possible? On a non-draw-happy board, wouldn't you wait until the river to push?

I don't think the villain was hoping to be called when he pushed all-in...if I didn't already know the results, I'd say he was protecting a two pair hand, like KQ. All the more reason to call!

When you combine all of the possible factors -- low stakes NL, 3-handed, stupid opponents at party poker, uncoordinated board, already beating 95% of all possible holdings, villain is betting too strong if he has a true monster hand (i.e. not milking enough) -- I don't think it was a tough decision for our hero to make.

ClimbRock512
06-29-2004, 02:52 PM
Did he not have a monster in his own eyes? You say he wouldn't push with something that has him beat, but he must figure that he is good. Does he think hes going to make a better set fold? You are saying that if he had a set, he'd milk it. Well he had a set, and didn't milk it...

Big Jon
06-29-2004, 05:50 PM
Automatic call for me. Richie's already explained why.

Kirkrrr
06-30-2004, 01:12 AM
Me (and this is probably why, when I lose, I go down hard), I would put SB on KQo, KJo, or someting else among those lines. His 6xPot raise definitely discourages callers, thus I'd put him on top pair with a weak kicker, or even perhaps something like AKo. Therefore, I'd say that you're still the favorite to win the pot. As you don't mention suits, I'm assuming it's a rainbow and they don't play any kind of a role. If he had a high overpair, he would have bet it both pre-flop and tried to take it down on the turn. So my analysis - hit his K but doesn't like his kicker and you should be okay.