PDA

View Full Version : Bad River Raise?

submariner
06-29-2004, 08:38 AM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

River: (10.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, UTG+1 calls $2 (All-In).

Final Pot: 16.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 16.25 BB, between UTG+1, Hero and MP1.</font>

I was so excited that I hit my set and finally got to raise it, I didn't even pay attention to the board. Or that MR. Check,Check,Check just woke up and bet.
I should have just called here, right?

cjromero
06-29-2004, 08:49 AM
I think the river raise was a good play. The only hand you should really fear after the Q comes is KJ. If he had QQ, he wouldn't wait until the river to wake up given the board. Same thing if he made a set of Tens on the flop. My guess is that he had AQ, KQ, or QT, and YHIG.

easypete
06-29-2004, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the river raise was a good play. The only hand you should really fear after the Q comes is KJ. If he had QQ, he wouldn't wait until the river to wake up given the board. Same thing if he made a set of Tens on the flop. My guess is that he had AQ, KQ, or QT, and YHIG.

[/ QUOTE ]

This could really go either way, since UTG+1 is short stacked. I generally agree w/ cprhou, but you never know w/ a short stack who is almost all-in. This could have meant a decent hand from the beginning (like TT). With our hero being aggressive, it would more than likely put all his chips in (thus not giving up information on the hand).

In saying that, you don't have too much to worry about with the raise on the river... you have a decent hand that may get paid off, and a very small chance of a 3-bet on the river (unless MP1 or MP3 just made their hand).

Bill Smith
06-29-2004, 10:13 AM
Your river raise is fine. Your hand is good most of the time here, and you've even got a couple other people still in the pot who might pay you off.

I had a guy to my right the other day who bet every river whether he had a hand or not. After calling down his K-high a few times, I started taking advantage of this fact and when he left the table an hour or so later, I was 48 BB richer. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sfer
06-29-2004, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG wakes up on the river but he can't 3-bet you. Two players behind you with an unlikely runner runner straight possible on the board. This is a raise situation on the river with those two jokers behind you but even heads-up you should raise.

k000k
06-29-2004, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.

I was so excited that I hit my set and finally got to raise it, I didn't even pay attention to the board. Or that MR. Check,Check,Check just woke up and bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, what are you afraid of? Nobody has given you any resistance the whole hand.. You get bet into once on the river. If he had QQ he'd be betting harder along the way... QT would have bet out the flop.. There's no flush, KJ or J8 is the only thing that beats you, and unless the guy is a total nut he's not sticking around for a backdoor straight..

AQ would probably raise preflop, so i say KQ or QJ is likely, he's been beating his 7:1 odds to draw at overcards, which would likely be good. Sets are impossible to put people on, he probably has you on TPTK or TPGK.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
06-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Easy raise, and nicely played on other streets as well.

submariner
06-29-2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks everyone, I guess I was being results oriented...He had KJ /images/graemlins/frown.gif, MHING