PDA

View Full Version : Good Laydown? KK

submariner
06-29-2004, 08:28 AM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP1 posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 folds.

Flop: (9 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

cjromero
06-29-2004, 08:45 AM
I would probably lay it down on the turn, but his betting would make me suspicious he didn't have a flush. He could have just as easily been testing the waters with black AQ. Most Party players aren't leading out on the flop if they flopped a flush. And if he made the flush on the turn, wouldn't he go for the check raise?

Xiphoid
06-29-2004, 11:19 AM
Played fine. Tough break on the turn.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
06-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Without holding the Kh, I would probably flat-call the flop and raise the turn if a non-heart fell.

submariner
06-29-2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks,all. Gravy, would the idea behind that be to not scare everyone off of the flop, and hopefully get more bets in on the more expensive street? Essentially a slowplay?

SoCalPat
06-29-2004, 02:33 PM
Mandatory fold here. I could see the BB betting out the flop with his singleton big heart, and when his flush hits, betting out again and inducing raises from smaller hearts (like the J or K)

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
06-29-2004, 11:14 PM
Well, the idea behind not raising the flop is that you're in a slightly-ahead-or-wayyyyyy-behind situation. If someone's already got the flush you are going to get 3-bet on the flop or checkraised on the turn. In addition, the lone Ah or Kh may 3-bet the flop also, and then you have no idea where you stand. If the turn comes a non-heart (and in this case, non-ace), you can raise now because there is a considerably lower chance that the four-flush will hit (4:1 instead of 2:1). If the fourth heart hits on the turn you have saved yourself a couple of bets and check/fold... and if someone flopped the flush, you also saved yourself a few bets on the flop.

citizenkn
06-30-2004, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would probably lay it down on the turn, but his betting would make me suspicious he didn't have a flush. He could have just as easily been testing the waters with black AQ. Most Party players aren't leading out on the flop if they flopped a flush. And if he made the flush on the turn, wouldn't he go for the check raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was betting his flush draw on the flop, and hit it on the turn. He bets out on the turn because four hearts on the board makes it very hard to get a check-raise from someone who doesn't have a heart in his hand. If he checks, it's likely that the flop raiser won't put any more money into the pot. His best chance of getting more money in the pot is to bet out and hope for a call---trying for a check-raise at this point could easily result in missed bets from a player who's at least willing to call down with big pair or smaller heart, but won't put another dime into the pot unless he has to.

HajiShirazu
06-30-2004, 01:38 AM
The play of waiting until the turn in these situations is one that I don't use nearly enough.
I hope there's a lot of info in NPA's book about these.