PDA

View Full Version : Final Four - Top Three make money, when this hand comes up

Manimal
06-29-2004, 03:45 AM
Here's the setup: I'm big stack (1500-ish) in a home tournament. Opponent is short, at 305. He's also the best of my three opponents by a country mile. I am renowned as a blind thief, especially when on the button. It's down to 4 handed play, top 3 get paid. Blinds are 25-50, opponent is in the big blind.

I pick up K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the button. I make it 150 to go, he pushes for another 155. I start to think. He DEFINITELY doesn't have AA or KK. So, I figure i'm a 2:1 dog at worst. It's also a strong possibility this is just a re-steal attempt.

I look at the pot, and there's 380 in there. By my calculations, that's a little better than 2.5:1. So, I call, and the BB turns over A /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, and starts saying it was a terrible call, and goes on for a few minutes.

Now, the way I see it - I'm getting odds on my money, and I have a decent shot at knocking out the only really dangerous player in the tournament. This is an insta-call, right?

The other stacks were significantly lower than mine, so I wasn't giving up the chip lead with the call, so there's no real threat to my placing in the money. And I believe that's all the relevant info.

(If you're interested in the outcome, I wound up in 2nd to one of the other players after he drew to an underpair/gutshot for all his chips. Turn hit him, and a few hands later his KK destroyed my AT. And now I'm tilting horribly, despite winning $200.)

Hand results in white:

<font color="white">He hits a 7 on the flop. I spike a 9 on the turn. He wins when he hits his A on the river. </font>

gergery
06-29-2004, 04:38 AM
Easy decision to try to steal,
easy auto-call to his all-in.
I probably call with any two cards there as you are only in trouble to a higher pair or a hand that dominates you.