PDA

View Full Version : the 'k' side of a KAA flop

detruncate
06-29-2004, 02:46 AM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Anyone cap this pre-flop?

Flop: (10 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Should I have re-raised? What's the play if capped?

Turn: (8 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero folds.

River: (10 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+2 calls $0.25 (All-In).

Final Pot: 11.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10.50 BB, between UTG and UTG+2.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 0.75 BB, returned to UTG.</font>

Apologies if these postings are mundane. It's been a difficult week, and I'm taking the opportunity to try to clean up my game.

blackaces13
06-29-2004, 02:59 AM
Seems entirely dependant on UTG. A lot of players will NEVER raise trips on the flop, because of this other (better) players often will raise because ironically playing trips strong disguises your hand. If UTG is one of the former types of players, as a majority of .5/1 players are then its a bad fold.

Absent a read I call it down after UTG+2 only calls the turn.

SoCalPat
06-29-2004, 03:07 AM
Unless you're up against a complete maniac, capping with KQo is a good way to lose all of your money.

Think about it ... you have to put a 3-bettor on JJ-AA, or AKs, and all of those hands are LRR-type hands at these levels. Three of those hands totally dominate you (KK-AA, AKs) and QQ gives you 3 outs. Only against JJ do you have any sort of real chance to play this after the flop.

detruncate
06-29-2004, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Seems entirely dependant on UTG. A lot of players will NEVER raise trips on the flop, because of this other (better) players often will raise because ironically playing trips strong disguises your hand. If UTG is one of the former types of players, as a majority of .5/1 players are then its a bad fold.

Absent a read I call it down after UTG+2 only calls the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. Thanks.

detruncate
06-29-2004, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless you're up against a complete maniac, capping with KQo is a good way to lose all of your money.

Think about it ... you have to put a 3-bettor on JJ-AA, or AKs, and all of those hands are LRR-type hands at these levels. Three of those hands totally dominate you (KK-AA, AKs) and QQ gives you 3 outs. Only against JJ do you have any sort of real chance to play this after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I've ever actually capped with KQo, for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. I just wondered if it was ever a good idea. I'm usually suspicious of a short stacked player limp/re-raising. It most often seems to mean that they're taking a shot at what looks to become a decent sized pot -- frequently with Ax or Kx. And though I didn't mention it, UTG is not someone whose EP limp implies strong cards.

In any case, point taken.