PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendation: Under the Banner of Heaven

Ulysses
06-29-2004, 01:32 AM
By Jon Krakauer, author of Into The Wild and Into Thin Air.

It's about a murder and the Mormon fundamentalist background of the perpetrators.

Among the things I learned from this book:

Some things Mormon fundamentalists like:

Lots of wives

Some things Mormon fundamentalists don't like:

Taxes

This book was described as a "bone-chilling narrative of messianic delusion, polygamy, savage violence, and unyielding faith." Sounds perfect for readers of this forum.

Strangely, as I was reading this book at a coffeeshop, some girl walked by and handed me a flyer/pamphlet - on Scientology/Dianetics. Nice.

Michael Davis
06-29-2004, 07:16 AM
I second your recommendation.

Truly amazing, shocking stuff. Unbelievable that a town like that (details thin intentionally) could exist.

-Michael

La Brujita
06-29-2004, 07:19 AM
I just read this book as well, I would recommend it but only give it about a 7/10. It was good but sometimes I wondered where he was going with it all.

His other three books are much much better imo.

Ulysses
06-29-2004, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just read this book as well, I would recommend it but only give it about a 7/10. It was good but sometimes I wondered where he was going with it all.

His other three books are much much better imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, Brujita. His other books were better stories and perhaps more captivating narratives. But I really felt this book was eye-opening, especially in a time when there's so much focus on Islamic fundamentalists in countries far, far away. As Michael said, it's quite amazing to me that this subculture exists (and thrives to a degree) here in America.

astroglide
06-29-2004, 02:22 PM
anybody see the anti-mormon south park episode?