PDA

View Full Version : Big Blind Shenanigans

antidan444
06-29-2004, 01:19 AM
Opponent in the hand was typical, not too loose, not too aggressive. I'm questioning pretty much every street, and can't make heads or tails of it, except in reflection I hate the turn call ... blah. My green poker thumb's showing ...

Ultimate Bet 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">8 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks,

Flop: (2 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8 BB, between SB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB (8 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows 7h 9c (two pair, nines and sevens).
Hero shows Kd 8h (one pair, kings).
Outcome: SB wins 8 BB. </font>

Jaran
06-29-2004, 02:15 AM
Hey antidan444,
I would raise this pf and bet/raise the flop whatever came. The way you played it, I think you can safely fold the turn.

-Jaran

SoCalPat
06-29-2004, 03:15 AM
Check the option. Raising here gets you nothing, and as it stands, you have nothing.

I don't understand the raising war on the flop. Your nothing PF hand has "improved" to a non-nut gutshot and an overcard.

What is the purpose of the turn call?

The river call was the only thing done right in this hand.

I would quit trying to get fancy heads-up in the blinds at these levels, against unknown players. At these levels, if someone bets out in a situation like this, they have something. Trying to move them off of it will only cost you money in the long run.

blackaces13
06-29-2004, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the raising war on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising for a free card in a HU situation with a gutshot and an overcard doesn't seem too bad to me. This 1 extra sb now may get you a free river card. As it played out I'd fold the turn for sure.

HajiShirazu
06-29-2004, 04:39 AM
Well you can't fold on the turn after picking up the flush draw as it's safe to assume that SB has paired at least one of his cards, meaning there's a bit larger than 75% chance that he is heartless.
You have a little bit of a hand on the flop but against non-aggressive players you could still just fold right there. It's a nothing pot really, and you have position on this guy, so wait until you flop a better hand like a pair or at least an 8 out draw before getting into raising wars.
Consider raising preflop.