PDA

View Full Version : AA not betting the pot

george w of poker
06-29-2004, 12:02 AM
i used to bet the pot or more almost everytime i bet. i've been experimenting with smaller bets because of acesovereights thread. so far it seems to be working well.

hand one... i can't very well fold to his raise after my bet can i? the problem is i don't know if i'm beat until i bet and he raises. if i check he could bet with top pair and i wouldn't know the difference. whats the best way to play this hand with a possible straight on board and then trips on the turn.

hand two... bet the river? i think so. co is a major calling station.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 6 handed)

Button ($83)
SB ($276.15)
BB ($75.93)
UTG ($219.95)
MP ($296.20)
Hero ($255)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, Hero raises to $7, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls $5.

Flop: ($15) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets $10, BB calls $10.

Turn: ($35) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets $25, BB raises to $58.93 (All-In), Hero calls $33.93.

River: ($152.86) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $152.86

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 9h Qh (three of a kind, nines).
Hero shows As Ad (two pair, aces and nines).
Outcome: BB wins $152.86. </font>

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 6 handed)

Hero ($109)
MP ($85.70)
CO ($248.90)
Button ($383.85)
SB ($92)
BB ($148.35)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
Hero raises to $7, MP folds, CO calls $7, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($17) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $10, CO calls $10.

Turn: ($37) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $25, CO calls $25.

River: ($87) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $67 (All-In), CO calls $67.

Final Pot: $221

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ah Ac (one pair, aces).
CO shows Qd 9d (two pair, queens and nines).
Outcome: CO wins $221. </font>

1800GAMBLER
06-29-2004, 12:14 AM
Anyone who loves to nitpick my posts can stop reading now, because this is a very simplified post and so you can nitpick lots.

Ok since you said 'it seems to be working very well' then post 1 hand were it totally [censored] up and one hand in which it went well i'm guessing you're somewhere lost.

In hand one the player made money from you postflop. He called $10 in a $25 to win another $60. So he got 8.5:1, hence his profit.

In hand two. He called a $25 bet in a ~$60 and won ~$70 on the river, 6:1, ~slight loss.

A few things about underbetting the pot:

1. You should be more likely to do it on the turn than the flop as then they only have 1 street to pick up their needed implied odds.
2. You should be less likely to do it with a hand you are going to pay off with, AA for example.
3. You should be less likely to do it when they could have up to 8 outs.
4. You should be a lot less likely to do it with deep stacks.
5. You should be able to read/play accordly to the player very well.
6. You must know they would fold to a pot size bet but call this underbet. Else it's pointless to underbet.

MasterShakes
06-29-2004, 02:08 AM
I can't see myself not betting the pot in both of these situations on every street.

gergery
06-29-2004, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i used to bet the pot or more almost everytime i bet. i've been experimenting with smaller bets because of acesovereights thread. co is a major calling station.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you post the link to that thread?

If he's a calling station, why aren't you betting more?

The time you make money is when they have second best hand. In both cases, second best hand would be 1 pair with 5 outs. So do whatever it takes to get the most money in. Once you bet and then the board pairs, I get a bit nervous with higher cards pairing, because if he's called he's likely to have a piece of the board, otherwise, why is he calling?

--Greg

fsuplayer
06-29-2004, 03:54 AM
I am too lazy to look and come back, but I think that its in the general forum, within the first 3-4 pages.

FsuPlayer

george w of poker
06-29-2004, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Once you bet and then the board pairs, I get a bit nervous with higher cards pairing, because if he's called he's likely to have a piece of the board, otherwise, why is he calling?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i get nervous too but are you just going to give up? i think i should have used my superior position and checked behind on the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
Can you post the link to that thread?

[/ QUOTE ]
not betting the pot link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=plnlpoker&amp;Number=775335&amp;Fo rum=,All_Forums,&amp;Words=&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Main =775335&amp;Search=true&amp;where=&amp;Name=764&amp;daterange=&amp;new erval=&amp;newertype=&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp;bodyprev=#P ost775335)