PDA

View Full Version : How often to fold facing a check raise

12-31-2001, 04:05 PM
Typical Foxwoods 10-20 hold'em game, ten handed.

UTG folds to me. I raise. Two cold callers. Big blind calls.

Flop is 5-4-2 three suits. BB checks. I bet. One of the cold-callers folds, the other calls, BB calls.

Turn: 4. BB checks. I bet. Cold-caller calls. BB raises.

Question: Given the action so far, what fraction of the time should I fold here? For example, assume that I would only have acted this way with half my AAs, 5/6 of my KKs, all my QQs, and half the time I'm dealt ten-nine of spades. With which of those hands should I call that check-raise in a typical 10-20 game?

The general point that I want to be forced to consider is when to finally lay down those big damn pairs when someone beats me over the head with the "you've been cracked" stick.

--JMike

12-31-2001, 05:13 PM
First off, if you're pushing T9 this hard fully half of the time, I think you've got bigger problems than what to do when check/raised. In fact, it might be a reason you're getting check/raised. IMO-

I'm a little more inclined to call a check/raise when heads-up (assuming I've got a hand and/or draw). With other players in, the pot becomes somewhat protected, meaning the check/raiser should have the hand he is representing more times than not. Of course, this won't always be the case, but I think it's at least somewhat made up for by the times you'll be drawing 100% stone cold dead with your big overpair.

You should also consider the likelihood of having to face another bet on the river. I recently called a check/raise in a similar situation with KK, but my call got me a free showdown. I think this can be important.

I think you also have to assess the player. I've recently been playing with someone who is capable of check/raising the turn with almost any two cards. More than once, I've called him down with very little and won. So the standard "it depends" applies here as well.

12-31-2001, 05:23 PM
Another important factor is how likely you are to have outs. If you can easily put your opponent on two-pair giving you 8 outs, of course you'd call if the pot justifies it. The other day, I faced this dilemna:

One early limper and I raised with AKs. The sb and limper called. 3-way.

The flop came As,8s,2d (none of my suit). They checked it to me and I bet. They both called.

The turn was an off 3. It was checked to me, I bet, the sb called and now the limper check/raised.

I folded. I agonized over this fold until I saw the end result. I didn't think he'd semi-bluff raise a flush draw and there was no likely two-pair other than A8s which left me drawing to 3 cards max (A king of spades might not be any good). Other hands (such as a set) had me drawing dead. I breathed a sigh of relief when he turned over A8s at the showdown.

12-31-2001, 05:29 PM
Sorry if I'm sounding nuts with this. But I thought alot about this (business of getting chec,/raised) and I'm just typing to myself here.

Had (my above hand) been heads-up, I probably would've called and maybe even called him down on the river. Heads-up I don't think it's right for me to fold AK here too often, or it will become correct for him to start check/raising me with hands like 98s, 77, etc. Can anyone tell me if this is correct? Or do I have it wrong? Thanks.

12-31-2001, 09:05 PM
As stated it is very important to make these laydowns against the solid players and of course do not show or tell what you are laying down

for obvious reasons.

01-02-2002, 09:46 AM
Careful, note that I said "half the time I was dealt ten-nine OF SPADES", not "half the time I was dealt ten-nine". The hand distribution I posted in the original message comes from the assumption that I'd

- have gone for the limp-reraise with some of my AA and some (but fewer) of my KK

- have tried for the bluff-raise with some subset of my suited connecters, pounded the flop with some fraction of those, and bet the turn with a smaller fraction of those. So at this point in the narrative we're down to half the times I was specifically dealt Ts-9s.

I took this problem from an actual hand and just realized that there's a problem with treating it as theoretically pure -- if I'm on AA, I may have these weird gutshot wheel outs. Maybe I should have made the board 7 4 2, 4 instead. Anyone who answers the question from here on out is welcome to choose this formulation instead, if it makes for a cleaner answer.