PDA

View Full Version : Premature desperation?

ddubois
06-28-2004, 11:36 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">Hero (t850)</font>
UTG (t2505)
MP (t745)
CO (t1190)
Button (t1445)
<font color="C00000">SB (t1265)</font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t1265 (All-In)</font>

For the price of 550, I can win 1150. I think my opponent will do this with the top 25% of hands (maybe top 40%), and if this 'read' is correct, I am a 1:1.7 dog to that range of hands. If however, I pass on this hand, I will have 550 chips (down to 400 after the little blind moves through me), and my fold equity will be non-existant. If I make the chipEV+ play here, and I manage to get lucky and double up, I will be 2nd in chips and should have a very good chance of getting into the money.

What's the play?

Nemesis
06-28-2004, 11:44 PM
sounds like the right move to me.

stripsqueez
06-28-2004, 11:54 PM
i think calling is ok - its desperation time

i see reasonably tight guys who push in this spot with hands comfortably outside the top 40%

i think its ok because you are screwed if you fold - you wont have enough chips to try and force a heads up battle by pushing so the better hand you might wait for will likely have to beat more than 1 opponent - you will have to more than double up in the next round in order to get out of the constantly desperate position of paying the blinds if you start with a mere 400 - even if you were to triple up the blinds will still be hurting you

in short you need a big run of luck to do any damage in this tournament if you fold this hand - you may need some luck to win this hand but if you do your a good chance to do some damage in the tournament

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

LinusKS
06-29-2004, 12:11 AM
I think that's a tough one.

I can tell you I'd probably pass, but I don't know that's the right answer. The problems are obvious, I guess - you have no fold equity, and your hand sucks heads up. You're liable to be the dog even if your opponent thought he was on a total bluff.

You've already made a good case for calling.

I'd probably hope for a high card before putting my money in, but I think it can be argued either way.