PDA

View Full Version : Playing against the clueless

12-30-2001, 09:21 PM
I have been playing at my new local cardroom. The room is pretty small,but they have a 20-40 going 24-7-365. The place where I live has quite a bit of money, and a bunch of people who love to gamble. The problem I am having is the game (and there is only 1 table) is full of people in which the stakes are insignificant for them. The table is full of business owners and others who to them it could just as soon be 3-6.

I feel the problem will soon be solved, as they are expanding the room this month. They will have higher limits, in which I will happily play as most of the well off, are clueless.

BUT I am having a problem at this moment playing with these players. There are about 5 regulars who honestly play any two suited, or connected cards for any amount. So imagine this sinario as it is a common one. 10 handed game UTG limps, next limps, Me (A-A) Raise, next call,next raise,next raise, fold, fold,fold,fold,all call.

Flop A-rag-rag, all call for 3 bets on flop,all call for 3 bets on turn, 3 way showdown in which you get cracked by a 6 high str8.

Above is a example of a normal hand in this game. I pride myself in being a tight agressive player, who tries to get the maximum out of each hand. BUT how do you play against these types? They could literaly have anything form a high to nut flush.

Shoud I employ a limp, check and call, raise only with the stone cold nuts stratagy? I am baffled, any imput would be great..if you think I should just shut up and play my game tell me also.

BTW thanks to those who responded to my last message, I have broken my card dead streak, but am still getting these horrific beats.

12-30-2001, 10:16 PM
Shoud I employ a limp, check and call, raise only with the stone cold nuts stratagy?

That would be terrible. You're suggesting that you intentionally become a passive player. You'll never win that way.

Keep on raising your big hands (AA,KK,QQ,JJ,AKs,AQs, etc.) and hope they keep calling with weak hands. And try to enjoy the ride.

Stay tight-aggressive.

12-31-2001, 07:11 AM
Mike

i am somewhat new to hold 'em and have only played in the low stakes games so far (2-4 mostly)but i think this advice might help. normally i think that my limit and your limit have little if anything in common but your situation begins to mirror the situation at 2-4. that is, people are playing almost anything, and hanging on to it till the river no matter the cost simply because the money is no object to them. this is exactly how my 2-4 games are and i find them quite impossible to beat. in a thread from the small stakes forum we called these amazingly loose-passive players "Mr. X's". It is completely true that Mr. X will have huge swings in his bankroll and will inevitably be a loser but he will also be the guy who cracks your AA with some trash hand you wouldn't dream of playing. In the "long run" Mr. X will lose, the trouble is no one knows how long the "long run" is, and, since the result of each draw is independent of the one prior (i.e. just because the odds are 4:1 against dosen't mean Mr.X won't succeed 10 or even 20 times in a row(though unlikely)) it is conceivable for Mr.X to draw miracle cards for quite some time and just take everyones money. Because Mr.X is bucking the odds though, he will end up giving the money back, the problem is there isn't just one Mr.X, you said in your game there are at least 5 (in 2-4 they are literally everywhere), and that means that if even one of them happens to be on his "upswing" that night, your solid play is probably going to get you buried as you described. in my opinion your limp-call-raise with only a very strong hand is the only way you'll even stand a chance against this legion of Mr.X's. i'd also say that since many more people than normal are going to the river you should play straight and flush drawing cards more often since it will be straights and flushes that win alot of the time with so many hands involved. you can also be sure top pair will almost never hold up. i'd also say to take it slow with a big pocket pairs like KK or AA unless theres a raise in front of you and you can make it 3 bets for those behind you (then they might actually fold). the reason i say this is that a straight or flush is unlikely with pairs in the pocket, and you actually only have 2 outs to improve your hand to get trips, two pair could be good i suppose but with this very loose group even two deuces on the board could give some halfwit with a suited two in his hand trips.

just some thoughts

goose