PDA

View Full Version : Defensive raise with Draw

Prevaricator
06-28-2004, 08:27 PM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (9 handed)

CO ($$12.05)
Button ($$63)
SB ($$36)
Hero ($$187.30)
UTG ($$57.05)
UTG+1 ($$27.35)
MP1 ($$236)
MP2 ($$121.40)
MP3 ($$242.60)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls $2, Button calls $2, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($9) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to $8</font>, SB calls $6, Hero calls $6.

Turn: ($33) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets $4</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>

Is this better than smooth calling? I think smooth calling the turn just gives away my hand, especially if the button raises and I end up forced to cold call, and im still sort of getting odds on my draw on the turn. Also, this raise might get the button to back off, which is the main point. Comments?

gergery
06-28-2004, 09:31 PM
I like your raise. But if the main purpose is to slow the button down, and you want both of them in there for maximum odds if you hit, why not just raise to $8?

The button’s raise should mean a feeler bet with A9, an overpair with TT, a set, or a semibluff draw. How do you think he plays A9 and TT when you raise vs. you calling (the set should raise and the draw will call)? If it makes him fold/call some of the time and slows down a big raise then it works. If it makes them think “allin” vs. another semi-weak raise then it’s not so good. But I think this will work enough to be a good idea, and you have 12 outs vs. most other hands.

--Greg

tewall
06-28-2004, 09:42 PM
I like your raise for the reason that it disguises your hand improving your chances of getting paid off if you hit your flush. And you're right that bet call raise call call round after round doesn't feel very good. OTOH calling the turn can't be bad as if you are raised you can assess the situation at that point. Since both plays are playable it's a good opportunity to mix up your game.

Leo Bello
06-29-2004, 12:11 AM
I would do the same there. How was the outcome?

tubbyspencer
06-29-2004, 12:16 AM
Change your 4h to a 5h or Th to add a gutshot, or a 7h to add an OESD or a Jh or Qh (or of course Ah) for 2 instead of 1 overcards - and I like it even better.

But the turn bet may be right here. For one thing, if you spike your K, you're still not thrilled with your hand. But they may not bet back at you much on the river - for fear of a check raise. And as mentioned, there's deception here if you do catch your flush.

Prevaricator
06-29-2004, 12:24 AM
I got lucky. The button folded, and the river brought a heart. The SB check called all-in. Good hand.