PDA

View Full Version : Check-fold the turn?

Riposte
06-28-2004, 07:47 PM
PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (11.40 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (7.20 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (10.20 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 10.20 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10.20 BB, between Hero, CO and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Button (10.20 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Qh As (high card, ace).
CO shows Jh Jd (one pair, jacks).
Button shows Qs Qd (one pair, queens).
Outcome: Button wins 10.20 BB. </font>

Sundevils21
06-28-2004, 07:54 PM
you missed the flop, but I like the bet anyway.
you missed the turn, now it's time to give up.

side note, how unbelievable did QQ play that postflop. Probably if an ace or king came out, he would have been 3betting or capping, lol.

Riposte
06-28-2004, 08:03 PM
Haha, QQ was a she. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

detruncate
06-28-2004, 08:19 PM
I sometimes bet and sometimes check. If there's any chance of taking the pot down, I more freqently bet. If people tend to call down to the river, I more frequently check. Your table image also plays a part. If you've been showing down a lot of winners, your aggressive play is likely to get a lot more respect. Interested to see what the consensus is. Misplaying these situations is probably a big leak in my game.

RED_RAIN
06-28-2004, 11:16 PM
I would check/call the flop, ummm you have AQ on a bad board for you with no draws and only over cards, you got 3 bet preflop which usually represents only hands that are ahead of you, I would want to see the turn cheap and if not improved, fold on turn. This would also allow me to check/raise the turn if I do hit.

Sundevils21
06-29-2004, 01:10 AM
So, even if you knew your opponents wouldn't raise, you still wouldn't bet the flop? Why call a bet if you could be the one putting it out there yourself and getting a smallish chance they all fold to you?

RED_RAIN
06-29-2004, 01:57 AM
Because there aren't many hands that are going to be 3 bet preflop that you are ahead of. Just to tell you, anything I 3 bet with, I'm raising a bet into me on the flop or I'll call them down to the river and if they slow down I'm betting.

How are you so certain they won't raise you? Perhaps if you know the table is that passive and the 3-bettor would lay down a hand which I don't think is likely.

SoCalPat
06-29-2004, 03:23 AM
I'm not really adding anything new here.

Check/call the flop. Check/fold the unimproved turn.

Your opponents are butterflies.

Peter Harris
06-29-2004, 05:53 AM
i agree with redrain, at these limits 2 players aren't letting go after 3-betting and you only have overcards.

In reality they were super passive and you can be chuffed you didn't lose at least 2 more bets.

Betting overcards is not a good play at the micros with more than 1 opponent as most are willing to run you down with any pair.

Pete Harris

cjromero
06-29-2004, 08:15 AM
I don't think the bet on the flop is all that bad. Since I assume you had no particular read that the button was a tight player, he could be 3-betting with a wider range of hands than Red Rain gave him credit for, including hands like JJ and TT, and hero still has overcards. However, with hero only calling the preflop 3-bet rather than capping, both of the others in the pot are going to call 50 cents when the board contains no paint.

When another low card comes on the turn, I don't like the turn bet. Cutoff and button like their hands, and one of them presumably has a pair, which you are behind at this point. I would check/fold the turn.

If you had been raised on the flop or the turn, would you have released it?