PDA

View Full Version : $1/$2 NLHE PS - QQ out of position

theBruiser500
06-28-2004, 05:13 PM
I have $200, 9 handed game with QQ in the BB, a few limpers I raise to $10, just the button calls who has me covered. Flop comes TT8.

I coudl check/call the whole way, checkraise the flop then check the turn, checkraise the flop then bet the turn, lead out the flop and turn. There are a ton of different ways to play this, any advice on which are the best?

gomberg
06-28-2004, 05:44 PM
This is a sticky situation - especially if the guy with position is aggressive with a big stack. Almost the same thing happened to me last night. I raised early w/ KK, and a big stack called me (I was a big stack too - about 160BB and he had me covered). I decided to check-raise the TT8 flop, so he wouldn't be so inclined to bet me off hands in the future. He called it - at this point he either had me killed with a slowplayed AA or a T, or I had him killed with his QQ or JJ. On the turn, I bet out sort of small (1/2 pot), knowing he wouldn't raise without at least a ten. He called this too - so I was pretty sure he was on JJ or QQ or lower pair. On the river, an Ace hit and I chickened out and checked. He checked too with his JJ (like my read indicated - wish I could act on my reads with a little more confidence).

I guess try to know what mistakes your opponent is more prone to make (calling with a loser, being overagressive with a weak hand, bluffing too much), and lead toward a play that takes advantage of this. If he's a bluffer, maybe bet small then reraise, or bet out then checkraise the turn, or just check / call the whole way (although with QQ that could be very dangerous because any A or K can make your hand miserable). If he calls too often, bet out. If you know how he'd play a 1set, even better, play so you can figure out if he has it or not. What do you think?

gergery
06-28-2004, 06:56 PM
Depends on the opponent. Since he limp/called preflop, it’s unlikely he has AA/KK and odds he has T are smaller with two on board. I probably raise ¾ the pot size. If he calls or reraises then I reraise flop or bet ¾ pot on turn and fold to any playback.