PDA

View Full Version : Inducing a bluff

Nemesis
06-28-2004, 02:08 PM
I was curious if this was an appropriate use of inducing a bluff. I got him to bet on the end like i wanted, but was afraid to pop him back because if he came over the top of me I would have to lay it down, am i just seeing monsters i think i could have gotten another 300 or so out of him looking back. Don't have any reads on the guy as the tournament JUST started. If anybody has some spare time and wants to watch me your more than welcome to sweat me =P I appreciate all your help.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP3 (t1440)
CO (t1480)
Button (t1460)
SB (t1480)
<font color="C00000">BB (t1500)</font>
UTG (t1600)
UTG+1 (t1480)
MP1 (t1500)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t1560)</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t50</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls t50, SB calls t40, BB calls t30.

Flop: (t200) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB folds, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, Button folds, BB calls t150.

Turn: (t500) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t500) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t220</font>, Hero calls t220.

Final Pot: t940
<font color="green">Main Pot: t940 (t940), between BB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (t940).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Jh Ad (two pair, jacks and threes).
Hero shows Kh Kd (two pair, kings and threes).
Outcome: Hero wins t940. </font>

Jason Strasser
06-28-2004, 02:59 PM
Nemesis,

Two things stood out to me. 1) Your preflop raise is not big enough. I guess I'm used to party and such, but I'd make it 70 to go. I guess its not a big deal, but your raise is a little too inviting for the blinds.

2) You must make this play read dependant. Against most opponents, playing ABC poker is smarter than trying this fancy stuff... Plus your hand is not extremely strong. Flopping top set is a much better hand to try this. I call this the stutter-step.

All that granted, this is a good play against a very aggressive opponent. One that will take your check as a sign of weakness and bet any two cards. These players exist at all levels of SNG play. However, you'd hate to see an ace or a jack come if you checked through.

Make this play, just make sure you have a read on your opponent. Never try this against an unknown.