PDA

View Full Version : My night at the Woods...3 hands long

zepmetal
06-28-2004, 01:57 PM
I'm playing the $1/$2 NL ($100 max) game at foxwoods. Ive been folding around for about an orbit,then i decide to limp in with AJo. The LAG in the BB ends up playing the pot with me, and I played another hand with him a half hour later, so thats why I post this first one - to set the stage. Anyways, there are two limpers in front, and one behind, the SB completes and LAG BB checks.

HAND 1
Flop ($12): Jh, 6c, 8c
checked to me, I bet $15, LAG in BB is the only caller.
Turn ($42): 3s, (Jh, 6c, 8c)
Check to me, I bet $40.
<font color="blue"> (Maybe push here? I've only got $37 left)</font>
The river was a non-club ace and I pushed and he folded. Would anyone have played any differently? Well, on to the hand thats really giving me trouble. (BTW - as I dragged the pot, people were throwing out hands I may have had. Someone said AJ, and LAG said, no, he definitely didnt have ace jack)

HAND 2
I've got about $140 at this point, LAG has me covered by maybe $75.
LAG open raises for $7 from EP. One cold caller, and I call with TT. Button calls, SB folds.

Flop($29): Qh, 7c, 3s
LAG checks, cold-caller checks, I bet $25. Button folds, LAG calls, cold-caller folds.

Turn($79):3d, (Qh, 7c, 3s)
LAG checks, I check.

River($79): 4c, (3d, Qh, 7c, 3s)
He leads out $50, and I fold.

Is this a weak fold here? I didnt know what I was giving him credit for, exactly. Maybe he would have looked for the turn CR with AQ and missed. Maybe he was huge with QQ and the flop looked safe enough. I didnt get a better read till later on, and I saw him make some pretty loose calls, so he may have even been calling with 99 or lower. Something told me I had definitely folded the winning hand, but I wasnt sure how I could call. My night would have been a lot better with those extra chips.

And a third hand, this is quick.
HAND 3

I've just moved tables, and dont have any greats reads, but Ive been folding for more than a full orbit to a very agressive table (I later saw an UTG raise for $22 with 88!, and an MP open-raise to $20 with K8o!!!)

I get KK in the SB and only have about $80. MP raises to $7, two callers, I re-raise to $40, MP thinks for a second and pushes (he's got over 200, as do the other players who had called the $7). Folded to me, and I call with my last $40. He had aces and hit an ace. ouch. As aggressie as the table has been, there hasnt been much over-the-top preflop aggressiveness, and people certainly notice when a tight player like myself comes in raising big. So, how deep does me stack need to be to consider folding this? If I had him matched and it was another $180 to call, do I call? or look for a better spot against these overly-aggressive players? Thanks a lot.

schwza
06-28-2004, 04:03 PM
#1) I'd have played it the same. Pushing on the turn might discourage a smaller pair, smaller kicker or gutshot from calling. You're also fine with a flush draw calling, even assuming you'll call if he pushes on the river (he's risking 40 to win the 80 in the pot plus the rest of your 40, so he's getting 3:1 on a 4:1 draw assuming he doesn't have a non-ace overcard).

#2) I think you played it fine. Paying off big bets with mediocre hands is a good way to lose a lot of money.

#3) I have never folded KK before the flop, and at the limits I'm playing (and that you're playing), I don't plan to.

FeelGoodAboutHood
06-28-2004, 04:40 PM
How is the 1/2 game at Foxwoods, I found out about it last week and I'm dying to get down there. Also, someone told me there's a 5 dollar per half hour rate. Is that true?

radioheadfan
06-28-2004, 04:53 PM
I was there two nights ago. $5 per half hour time charge. Seems steep.... 5BB/hr. Don't know if the game is good enough to be +EV yet. Seems like there may be enough fish in the sea to make it worth it.

gomberg
06-28-2004, 05:05 PM
Hand #1 and #3 - I would have played it same way. You pot commit yourself in hand #1, but that's fine as he didn't have odds for anything he could have had that was behind even if you push no matter what on the river.

Hand #2, I don't think I'd fold in that spot. You induced a bluff by checking the turn and a LAG is sure to bet out to weakness there. A non-scary card came on the river and the bet was not that big - I think there's a good chance you win, plus that will make people think twice about bluffing you in the future. Once in a while you'll see QQ or AQ, but I wouldn't be surprised by a lower ace, a lower pocket pair, or AK.

Chazbot2000
06-28-2004, 05:06 PM
Your first hand is there any reason why you wouldn't want to be called? Sure looks like he was drawing and missed a flush. I'd bet $10 or so to try to induce a bluff from him or at least get him to call.

Other two hands make sense to me.

MrBlini
06-28-2004, 05:16 PM
Hand 2: I think you have a great bluff-catcher. gomberg is spot on. You'll pick him off enough to make the river call and then some. He's shown weakness the whole way, and now he is making a bet that's just about the size of a typical river steal bet. I think you're ahead close to 50% of the time in this situation, and certainly enough to call getting 2.6:1.

In fact, when you check through the turn, you should be thinking about both how large an induced bluff you are willing to call on the river and what cards you think might make your opponent strong enough to make a non-bluff bet. I find that it is easier to make the decision before the bluff comes. Then I'm psychologically prepared for the magnitude of the bluff. Sometimes I shock my opponents by calling quickly on the end with marginal hands. It's because I've already made up my mind.