PDA

View Full Version : My O8 SNG Strategy

ChipWrecked
06-28-2004, 01:29 PM
I've been playing a number of the 10+1 O8 SNG's on EmParty. Small sample size notwithstanding, I've done well enough with them that I expect to finish in the money every time I sit in one.

I've done OK in the NLHE SNG's using Russ G.'s strategy as posted at RGP and that 'mafia' thing he does. Stay tight the first couple rounds, and open it up with push-ins ("stack offs") to steal blinds and stacks by the fourth round.

By way of giving back, I want to post how I play the O8 limit sit 'n go’s.

Just as in ring game play, it's all about starting hands. I don't worry whether it's the first round, or sixth. If I have a playable hand, I'm in. I want to build a sizeable stack for the late rounds. It's too late to wait for the blinds to increase to start making moves.

I'm not looking to split pots. I want to scoop, or at least 3/4. I like to play for high: Broadway straights or boats over 8. Suited Aces to take hi and lo of course are nice. Of course I will not turn my nose up at A2, but I'll probably dump an A4 if it has no high features to back it up. I won't even call a raise when in the big blind.

Regarding raising, I'm selective with it. I'll open raise a monster starting hand, AA23 or some such. But, mostly I limp in. I want to trap players in with my raises, not run them out. If the player just to my right has bet, I'll call if there are two or more behind. I want them in. Of course, I'll happily reraise if one of them pops it.

I go for the aggression in the late rounds, when the blinds are high and we're in the money. Late rounds in these tourneys means seventh or eighth. Often eight starters are still around at the beginning of the fifth round. They usually start dropping out quickly from that point on. When we're down to the last three, I'll start trying to push opponents off their hands. This, of course, is when it gets tricky. It doesn't take too many mistaken $400 calls or raises to put a fatal dent in your stack. I like to err on the side of aggression though.

That's about it. I'm open to suggestion, certainly. My O8 knowledge comes from Badger's articles, Annie Duke's Ultimate Bet tutorials, and of course, Buzz's 2+2 body of work.