PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Storm

tardigrade
06-28-2004, 12:53 PM
What went wrong here?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (16.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (28.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 31.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 31.50 BB, between Button, UTG and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Button (31.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Qc 9h (two pair, queens and nines).
Hero shows Ks Kc (three of a kind, kings).
Button shows 7h 6c (straight, nine high).
Outcome: Button wins 31.50 BB. </font>

dfscott
06-28-2004, 01:31 PM
I guess it goes without saying that button is an idiot (cold-calling not once, but twice preflop). Now the question is when do you believe that he's an idiot. I'd not believe it until he showed me his cards, so I'd probably play it the same way.

SomethingClever
06-28-2004, 01:37 PM
With a flop like that, I may just call the 3-bet rather than cap.

Other than that, nothing you can do except put these guys on your buddy list... especially UTG.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I would have probably called the 3-bet on the flop for sure, and put the button on a set. When the K came on the turn, I would again cap, and probably not slow down on the river, either.

It's very hard to give credit for 76o with that kind of preflop action.... but, now you know this guy is a loose idiot.

benfranklin
06-28-2004, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Other than that, nothing you can do except put these guys on your buddy list... especially UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to put them on MY buddy list. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

tardigrade
06-28-2004, 02:38 PM
Yes ... originally I was thinking another high pair, but with no aggressive action pre-flop, I was thinking he'd flopped a set, and was getting nervous until I saw the turn, at which point I jumped back out guns blazing. The only rational thing I could put UTG on was a flush draw, so I feared a check raise on the turn and checked through. When I saw the 67o win it, I blew steam out my ears and forced myself to type "good play". Aaargh!

gojacketz
06-28-2004, 03:23 PM
Not the hands I would expect your opponents to have after the preflop action. Yikes.

Not sure when I would think I may be beaten, maybe when the button 3 bets me on the flop (I also think this screams set). If K does not come on the turn, I definitely slow down. Too many players showing too much strength for one pair to take down a pot this big.

I don't see anything wrong with the way it was played. The third heart really makes me think I am hosed, I would probably check/call also.

Gojacketz

tech
06-28-2004, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What went wrong here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain flopped a straight. That's poker. Be happy that people like UTG and button play in these games.

B Dids
06-28-2004, 05:09 PM
What went wrong is that you turned that King /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Then you didn't yell "PAIR THE BOARD" loud enough before the river.

Hard hand to get away from. Once I made my set on the turn I'd probably play like you.