PDA

View Full Version : Small and Medium Pocket Pairs

nemaj
06-28-2004, 11:00 AM
I'm a frequent lurker and rare poster here and would like to start by thanking everyone for all the information you provide. My game is pretty decent and getting better, in large part due to 2+2. Anyway, I'm having a problem with some hands that I'd like to get some feedback on...

Basically, I'm having trouble playing pocket pairs, from 2s to 9s. Late in tourneys, bubble and in the money, it's a little easier based on reads, stack size, etc. However, early on, when blinds are small, or mid-tourney, when I have 10x-15x bb, I have a problem with these hands. So, if possible, I'd like to hear from you folks on how you play pocket pairs...

Late position folded to you with 88, with 10x bb, how do you play it?

Early tourney, blinds 10/15, in MP with 44, what's your play?

Early tourney, blinds 10/15, in MP with 99, and a min raise ahead of you, what do you do?

Blinds 25/50, MP with 66 and 2 limpers?

Those sorts of things.

I had been playing pretty much limp and look for a set, which seems to bleed off chips more often than not (obviously). I've experimented with betting out to give the impression of a big hand and then betting decent on the flop, regardless. Anyway, I'd appreciate some insight.

FWIW, I normally play 10+1 to 50+5 SnGs at Party.

Thanks

TJD
06-28-2004, 11:24 AM
I would like to know about how many were left and the size of the other stacks since (especially with the first one)it could make a difference. However, with that caveat, and assuming nothing that would make me do differently.

88, I raise all in

44, I might limp if limpers in front and no evidence so far of aggressive play by those behind. I would just as happily fold them.

Fold 99; I am not interested - too risky

Fold 66 ; I want to be first in at this level

Would welcome other views

Trevor

Jason Strasser
06-28-2004, 11:41 AM
Late position folded to you with 88, with 10x bb, how do you play it? All-in.

Early tourney, blinds 10/15, in MP with 44, what's your play? Limp.

Early tourney, blinds 10/15, in MP with 99, and a min raise ahead of you, what do you do? Call, play set fold.

Folding 99 to a min raise this early is silly. You will likely have a 4-5 way pot, with more than sufficient odds to draw to your set. I often cold call small bets early on looking for sets. This gets tricky if the flop comes 764.

Hood
06-28-2004, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a frequent lurker and rare poster here and would like to start by thanking everyone for all the information you provide. My game is pretty decent and getting better, in large part due to 2+2. Anyway, I'm having a problem with some hands that I'd like to get some feedback on...

Basically, I'm having trouble playing pocket pairs, from 2s to 9s. Late in tourneys, bubble and in the money, it's a little easier based on reads, stack size, etc. However, early on, when blinds are small, or mid-tourney, when I have 10x-15x bb, I have a problem with these hands. So, if possible, I'd like to hear from you folks on how you play pocket pairs...

Late position folded to you with 88, with 10x bb, how do you play it?

Early tourney, blinds 10/15, in MP with 44, what's your play?

Early tourney, blinds 10/15, in MP with 99, and a min raise ahead of you, what do you do?

Blinds 25/50, MP with 66 and 2 limpers?

Those sorts of things.

I had been playing pretty much limp and look for a set, which seems to bleed off chips more often than not (obviously). I've experimented with betting out to give the impression of a big hand and then betting decent on the flop, regardless. Anyway, I'd appreciate some insight.

FWIW, I normally play 10+1 to 50+5 SnGs at Party.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

With PP 2-9, your playing for set value. It's 8-1 to hit it, but your willing to take it on with less limpers due to high implied odds (sets especially due to nice deception factor).

Early on when the blinds are small and you have an average stack, I'm willing to limp in from any position if it's a passive table and I don't expect a raise (or if there is, a min raise that gets just as much limping). I'm getting large implied odds on my set. Regardless of position I find them very easy to play - raise to the pot if you hit, check/fold if you don't.

If you're low on chips, then you can't do this. You don't have the implied odds because your stack isn't deep enough, and limping 10x is a bad idea when your going to be throwing your hand away. When it gets up to PP of 88-99, I think it gets slightly more like a raising/pushing hand, although it depends on how likely you feel you will win the blinds. If you get called you will be looking at a 50/50 (2 overcards), a big dog (overpair) or, on rare occassions, a big favourite, so you aren't in too bad a shape.

As the levels go up and the # of opponents goes down, then pairs become more and more like raising/pushing hands - but NOT calling all-in hands. That's because you've got the extra equity of taking down the blinds. I'd very rarely call an all-in with low-mid PPs.

The four example questions you've posed are dependant on too many factors (read on the players, stack size of you and others, level, players still in), to give an accurate answer on how I'd play 'em. But hopefully some of the above - all just opinion - is useful.

Edit: Recent reply I made on late-play PPs (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=783026&page=0&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#783026)