PDA

View Full Version : LAGs and a big pot

Transference
06-28-2004, 07:05 AM
Did I do OK here? UTG is LAG, CO is very LAG.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (14.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

River: (18.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, CO folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20.50 BB

Transference
06-28-2004, 02:43 PM
BUMP

Wheres the love for the noobs?
Do I fold this on the flop despite the pot size and LAGs?

Thanks for any input.

chief444
06-28-2004, 02:50 PM
I think if SB stuck around I would be far more likely to drop this on the turn if not the flop rather than call the cap. With SB gone against two LAG's I think check/calling down is fine. Just be careful that you don't get caught in a raising war between them.

zram21
06-28-2004, 02:55 PM
I think you played it fine. It looks to me like UTG probably has either A7 or A6. However if he is a LAG he could pushing any A or really any pair, but betting out on the turn after the flop was capped seems to suggest he has two pair. I wouldn't put him on a set since if he is a LAG he would have likely raised his pair preflop.

So with the flop that big and the chance he may be pushing an A you beat or worse I think calling down here is fine.

Ralph Wiggum
06-28-2004, 03:25 PM
If you got crazies at the table, I would have bet the turn, hoping for UTG to raise.

B Dids
06-28-2004, 05:06 PM
Is anybody else tempted to lay down preflop here? I hate playing AJ vs a raise.

I'd feel fine about letting this go on the flop.

LeftBack
06-28-2004, 06:09 PM
Fold pre-flop? for only 1 SB? Would you raise AJo from the BB if no one else called? AJo ranks 18 in my list of 9-player EV.

Fold on the flop? With legitimate TPTK? There are going to be raises from the straight and flush draws, and AXo'ers. I'd rather see fewer callers, but the board is open to everyone.

I heard a term the other day, don't know if it applies here: passive tenacious. It was used to describe playing with LAG's. You don't necessarily provoke the wild beast, but you don't hide under the bed, either.

LAG's are fairly predictable, so you can avoid betting into them and take advantage of them to set up check-raises. Sometimes, even LAG's get good cards, but it sure is hard to tell. If you're going to sit down with them, you have to accept the variance.

I don't know if there is an alternative, tight strategy for LAG's, but would it be tighter than AJo?

IMO, he played fine.

Greg J
06-28-2004, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is anybody else tempted to lay down preflop here? I hate playing AJ vs a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it makes me go for the rolaids. If i were in the SB i would probably agree with you Dids. But since he gets in effectively for half price here, I think AJo is a good call.

B Dids
06-28-2004, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold pre-flop? for only 1 SB? Would you raise AJo from the BB if no one else called? AJo ranks 18 in my list of 9-player EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll raise with with AJo from almost anywhere, but there's a big difference between raising with it and calling with it.

[ QUOTE ]

Fold on the flop? With legitimate TPTK? There are going to be raises from the straight and flush draws, and AXo'ers. I'd rather see fewer callers, but the board is open to everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a pre-flop raiser AJ is not really a legit TPTK.

I think it's pretty easy to put somebody on at least better ace than AJ based on the flop action. Is a call down horrible, no. I just think I'm looking for situations where I've got more edge.

Bill Smith
06-28-2004, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah it makes me go for the rolaids. If i were in the SB i would probably agree with you Dids. But since he gets in effectively for half price here, I think AJo is a good call.

[/ QUOTE ]

For that matter, the raise from the SB could easily be a strong drawing hand (JTs, QJs) given his position and the number of limpers.

charlie_t_jr
06-28-2004, 07:06 PM
I was thinking the same thing when I first read the post. But when nobody brought it up, I thought well, I might be to weak/tight in the blind.....I would think about a fold, but probably see the flop...but I wouldn't be to confident when the A comes....

LeftBack
06-28-2004, 07:32 PM
Calling and raising should be given different considerations. I'll work on that.

Help me out: What exactly is a better Ace? Any AK or AQ? Is that weak? Or, are you talking AT and A7?

B Dids
06-28-2004, 09:28 PM
So here's the flop

7, T, A (I'll ignore suits)

Hand that beat you at this point that would reasonably call a pf raise.

77, 88, AT, AQ AK, AA, A7,

Yes, these lags COULD have A9, A8 or worse. They could have middle pair, but I don't know if I want to take that chance unless they're utter maniacs.

uaw420rook
06-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Amateurs look for reasons to stay in a hand. Professionals look for reasons to get out of a hand. Bids hit the nail on the head in my opinion. The A on the flop sucks you in and you can easily be dominated by straight or even two pair. Can't blame a guy for calling down with it, but I wouldn't beat my keyboard if it didn't hold up. Easy fold pre-flop in my book(agree with dids strategy on this one).