PDA

View Full Version : $60k in 60 days -- Days 44, 45, & 46

Schneids
06-28-2004, 05:36 AM
Day Forty Four (June 25), Day Forty Five (June 26), and Day Forty Six (June 27) -- 06.28.04, 03:36

Do you see that white flag? I think I'm psychologically heading towards resignation andn acceptance that my goal was too ambitious for its own good. This weekend, I was simply unable to get myself to log any substantial hours for the quest. This makes no sense, because weekend games are some of the best games of the week. On Friday I played an hour before dinner and won $1610, then 3-hours after seeing Fahrenheit 9/11 and lost $730.67, putting me at $879.33 with 4-hours of play. On Saturday, I didn't do any playing outside of Party's $1,000,000 guaranteed tournament. That whole experience was frustrating thanks to the extensive pause that occurred. My plan on Saturday was to play the tourney until I busted, then meet up with friends for a going away party. I lost my stack uneventfully in a desperation blind steal all in with QTo, and finished the tourney low-300's. It was a good experience and I think I took a lot out of playing in it. I made a couple mistakes, but think I played well and did a good job gradually building a stack with low risk opportunities. So, I ended up with friends around 8:30 and proceeded to have a very fun night. Yay for fun, but having another zero-day in this quest is a killer.

This Sunday morning, I woke up at 11:30 and tried getting myself out of bed, but this effort proved to be stupid as I felt like a hung over piece of crap. I went back to bed intending to sleep it off, and woke up again at 3:30. I played some poker from 4:30 to 5:30, and lost $620 while making some nice second bests in both 10/20 and 15/30. For what it's worth, I think the 15/30 full tables actually provide me with more variance than 10/20 6-max (not on a hand to hand basis, but rather using time itself to measure the extent of variance). At least with the 6-max, I'm seeing 25% of flops and actively playing in dozens of hands every hour at each table, where as in 15/30 full I have a VPIP of 17 and feel like I'm rarely playing in hands... All of which means having bad luck in the couple of hands I do play in results in it taking an awful long time to reach that long run. Plus, I've found it annoying how slow some people are in their preflop actions at 15/30 full. I'm really surprised how many people take forever doing something. I feel like I'm keeping up better than most of the table even with the fact I'm playing five other tables.

In my night session for Sunday, I played ring games for a quick half an hour, and won $84.50. So the total for Sunday was 1.5 hours of ring game play and -$535.50 to show for it.

Thanks in part to playing in Saturday's tournament, I'm starting to get bit by the tourney bug. So, this past night I played in two $50+5 NL multis... In the first one out of more than 650 entrants, I finished in the money – though barely (top 70 paid and I finished in the second or third pay bracket). In my second tourney, I busted out around 70th out of a little over 200 entrants. The most interesting hand from this tourney happened when I limped with KK UTG. Two others limped, and a flop brought KT5 with two diamonds. The SB bet and BB raised, and I called. The turn was a T and they checked to me. I figured at least one was on a draw and would pay off a medium sized bet, so I bet around 250 into a 700ish pot. Both called. River was a blank and they checked to me, I bet 800, BB check raised me all in (about another 800) and I had an easy call to beat his T5 boat.

Is 15/30 extremely loose or am I finding some bad tables? Two limpers, and I limp with QhJh in the CO. All others fold and it's BB and two others to a flop of Kh6s2h; BB checks, first limper bets, second one calls, I raise, and everyone folds. What? Winning the pot uncontested right then and there was just about the last thing I expected to happen.

Maybe I was just on a bad table, because this hand falls more in line with what I expect to see from Party clowns: UTG raises, I cold call in MP1 with AdAh, MP2 cold calls, BB calls, and we see a flop of 7c6h2h; BB checks, UTG bets, I call, MP2 calls, BB folds. Turn 3d; UTG bets, I raise, MP2 folds, UTG 3-bets, I cap, UTG calls. River 5d; UTG bets, I call. What does UTG hold? Easy. 4h4s. If I knew my 3rd pair plus gutshot was going to be made a winner on the river too, I suppose I wouldn't stop betting, would I?
My consolation is I had a plan, I executed it, and got as much action as I desired thanks to my PF and flop calls. Maybe these games are safe for awhile.

Occasionally, I miss value bets that I'm not sure whether I need to be making or not in 10/20 6-max: I'm UTG and raise 8s8c, all fold to the BB who calls. Ad7s6s flop, check, I bet, call. Turn As; check, I bet, call. River 6c, final board Ad7s6sAs6c; check, and I check, and win against BB's Kh2c. I can only assume if he called my turn bet, he'd have happily called a river bet with aces and sixes with a king kicker.

I'm going to try very hard to renew my dedication to finishing this quest tomorrow. I think making this journal tonight after three days of not creating one is helping to clear my head and mend my ego that hates the thought of failing at goals. There's still two weeks, and even if I have to average something like $2,000/day, you never know. After all, the Pistons did win the NBA championship.

Total for Day 44: $879.33
Total for Day 45: $0
Total for Day 46: -$535.50
Goal to date after 46 days: $31,484.58/$60,000

Baulucky
06-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Why not start a 30K/30 day quest today instead?. Every day is a new day.

You had a break neck pace already at 1K/day goal. Trying for 2K/day doesn't sound realistic.

If you make another 30K in 30 days, it would still be awesome performance, IMO.

astroglide
06-28-2004, 12:07 PM
your ego is okay with mulligans?

Diplomatdcm
06-28-2004, 12:57 PM
First, i gotta say even if you miss you quest you have done a hell of ajob. 2nd do you think that you win rate is sustainable over the long term? I mean I understand you are a good player and i respect your play but, even with 4-6 tables, 9BB an HR seems pretty high, or I just way off? Gl, and congrats,
Dave

pokerraja
06-28-2004, 04:39 PM
You got very lucky with that KK hand in the MTT. You dont play MTT's with the same kind of deception you would as in a cash game. Not only did you give limp in, you also gave very cheap turn card, very bad move especially with flush draws out there. This kind of strategy will back fire most of the time.

Ponks
06-28-2004, 05:17 PM
I'm not an NL player by any means, so I wont make any comments about the preflop or flop play. However, he had the nut boat on the turn. I'd hope the flush draws got there on the river.

Ponks

pokerraja
06-28-2004, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not an NL player by any means, so I wont make any comments about the preflop or flop play. However, he had the nut boat on the turn. I'd hope the flush draws got there on the river.

Ponks

[/ QUOTE ]

my intention is not to put him down. i just felt it neccessary that he make the transistion from limit to no-limit. In NL giving a free or cheap card can cost you the tourney.

Schneids
06-28-2004, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ponks

[/ QUOTE ]

my intention is not to put him down. i just felt it neccessary that he make the transistion from limit to no-limit. In NL giving a free or cheap card can cost you the tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks I do appreciate the intentions. I am by all means a relative newb in both NL play and tourney play, and as I try to learn the intricacies of these forms of play I'm sure I'll make a lot of mistakes along the way.

I think the only real decision in the hand is on the flop and whether to cold call the raise, or to reraise even more. On the turn when I fill up, it comes down to "just how much are the drawers willing to call on their draws."

mntbikr15
06-28-2004, 06:13 PM
I would have to agree that it prob is a losing play in the long run by giving the free card. Granted I lack the experience of most of the people around here but I have had a play almost exactly like that backfire one to many times to believe it is worth it.

Evan

pokerraja
06-28-2004, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ponks

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks I do appreciate the intentions. I am by all means a relative newb in both NL play and tourney play, and as I try to learn the intricacies of these forms of play I'm sure I'll make a lot of mistakes along the way.

I think the only real decision in the hand is on the flop and whether to cold call the raise, or to reraise even more. On the turn when I fill up, it comes down to "just how much are the drawers willing to call on their draws."

[/ QUOTE ]\

The other real decision besides the flop, is preflop. Limping in Ep with KK is a losing play most of the time, unless your planning and pretty sure you can limp-reraise preflop. but your play backfires and your giving A5 a cheap card. Not to beat a dead horse, but giving 2 players cheap turn cards is a losing play. BTW nice turn card, huh /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blarg
06-28-2004, 10:11 PM
I would count your tournament days as taking a day off. Especially as you say you aren't yet super-experienced with NL or tourneys, they seem to bring negative expectation to your goal. Your goal unfortunately is a tough one, and taking possibly hours and hours off for tournaments is unlikely to help.

I wonder what your overall hours played per week are. I've often gotten the impression that you're having a great summer in more ways than one, but also that for someone working as if he were at a "job," you seem to take a lot of time off. Not sure if that impression is wrong, but would be interested in some figures as to how many actual, not table hours, of non-tourney play you've put in per week so far.

Ponks
06-29-2004, 01:54 AM
Sorry I misread your post. He did give a cheap turn card, I was thinking it was the river for some reason. My bad.

Ponks

Blarg
07-03-2004, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since it's obvious barring miracles my goal will be a failure, I'm continuing to write for that simple reason... Hoping my journals inspire at least one person to study hard, and continue to work at their game

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely did for me.