PDA

View Full Version : AJs in Late Position

AtlBrvs4Life
06-27-2004, 06:06 PM
I seem to be running into way too many monster hands when I feel like I have the best hand. The problem is I never know because all the morons do is check/call. What could I have done different in this hand?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: AtlBrvs4Life is CO with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, AtlBrvs4Life raises, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 bets, MP3 calls, AtlBrvs4Life raises, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (11.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, AtlBrvs4Life bets, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

River: (16.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, AtlBrvs4Life bets, UTG calls, UTG+1 raises, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, AtlBrvs4Life calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 24.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 24.25 BB, between AtlBrvs4Life, UTG, UTG+1 and MP1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG+1 (24.25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Qs Qh (two pair, queens and sixes).
UTG+1 shows Ac Ah (two pair, aces and sixes).
MP1 shows 9d Jh (two pair, jacks and nines).
AtlBrvs4Life shows Jd Ad (two pair, jacks and sixes).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins 24.25 BB. </font>

tech
06-27-2004, 06:37 PM
You played it fine. Sometimes you just happen to make second-best, third-best, or fourth-best hands.

nothumb
06-27-2004, 06:40 PM
They didn't raise with AA or QQ pre-flop. What are you going to do, put every micro limper on a premium hand?

You did fine.

NT

Jaran
06-27-2004, 06:40 PM
Ok, I'll admit to peeking at the results, and was quite surprised. I expected you to be behind here, but to a 6 or 78. I think you played the hand fine.

-Jaran

AtlBrvs4Life
06-27-2004, 06:47 PM
Alright thanks. When utg+1 cr'ed me on the river, I thought he had 78 and had hit his straight. If that was the case, I wouldn't have been so perplexed about this whole hand. I guess that is .5/1 on party though.

Vern
06-27-2004, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I seem to be running into way too many monster hands when I feel like I have the best hand. The problem is I never know because all the morons do is check/call. What could I have done different in this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

But they didn't all just check/call, MP1 bet the flop, you raised and two players cold called two and 5 players got to the turn. Those cold callers should have set off warning bells. The pot is now very big but you are likely behind to the field as a whole with TPTK so getting to the river cheaply becomes another line on this since they don't seem likely to drop for one or two bets now in a huge pot. I might consider checking through the turn since a six may have kept someone in this hand then call one on the river. When it is 5 players at the river and you are last to act and bet, the only hands that will likely call you are ones that tie or beat TPTK and you run the risk of being check/raised. If I got to the river the same way you did and got a check/raise from someone who had cold called two on the flop I could lay it down unless I was the first caller and the last to act. He is not trying to bluff 5 other players who have all said in some way or another "I have a good hand" with their calls and one of them has already called two on the river too(although it is a huge pot). Since I don't want to call a check raise on the river, I don't bet. Yeah I don't like the way they played their overpairs, but TPTK is great heads up hand. Against 5 opponents it is very vulnerable.

Vern

tech
06-27-2004, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Those cold callers should have set off warning bells.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? They could easily be on a flush draw. For that matter, your typical .5/1 player will coldcall two on the flop with a lot less than that.

Vern
06-27-2004, 07:04 PM
I Agree, it is the fact that there are cold callers and 5 to the turn that scare me. I doubt I will get any better hands to fold to a turn bet and with 4 to act after I bet the fear of a check raise would make me consider checking the turn. I just don't think 4 players all have flush draws. However, betting the turn and checking the river are likely the best options so you charge any flush draws but don't pay off better hands that will call/raise on the river. This is an unusual case, normally I would consider TPTK to be at worst second on the Turn so the other three calling your bet are paying the best hand the most, but they are paying the second best hand more than he bets. This is just a sad case of being 4th in a 5 player race.

Vern

Siingo
06-27-2004, 07:07 PM
Thank him becaus that he is such a stupid moron that do not raise. That make you loose less when you do not have to raise and call him!!!! Thank him!!! But not so he hear you becaus then he might start to play good poker and that is bad for you!!!!!! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

GuyOnTilt
06-27-2004, 07:36 PM
Hey ATL,

You have to fold the river. UTG+1 just check-raised into a protected pot when it's obvious that you have a strong hand AND a cold-caller came along as well. You're not going to be good here once out of 25 times. Muck it and move on.

GoT

citizenkn
06-27-2004, 08:49 PM
You lost the hand, but take solace in the fact that you were the only person who played his hand correctly. Everyone else was terrible, and helped save you bets on nearly every street. Oh, and with a pot that big, I would have made the pathetic crying call every time.