PDA

View Full Version : aces up - bet the river on a scary board?

detruncate
06-27-2004, 04:22 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG is loose/ultra-passive; Button is loose/moderately aggressive and has been known to bluff

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

River: (9.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13.25 BB, between Hero and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Button (13.25 BB).</font>

I always hate it when one of the flop cards pair on the river with a couple "any pair" types like these two. Also, UTG limped with pocket jacks a little while ago, and let it get checked by her 3 times with a paired flop, double paired turn, and ace on the river, so I probably can't totally discount a straight (or flush for that matter) even without any turn aggression. I think I've answered my own question, but anyone think betting is the proper play?

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Qc As (two pair, aces and queens).
Button shows Tc Jh (three of a kind, tens).
Outcome: Button wins 13.25 BB. </font>

jrobb83
06-27-2004, 04:28 PM
I'd bet that every day and twice on sundays. If they are the "play and pair any draw" types there are many hands that you can beat that they would call a bet with on the river. Any ace or queen would gladly call that river for just one bet. How would you feel if the river got checked through and the guy flipped up QJo or A5o?

Really the only time I would check-call here is against a decent opponent who wouldn't call the river without a hand that beat me but take a shot at the pot with a variety of hands.

nothumb
06-27-2004, 04:35 PM
Grit your teeth and bet it. Looks fine.

NT

detruncate
06-28-2004, 02:48 AM
Thanks guys. I've gone from checking too many rivers, to betting too many rivers, to... some ridiculous middle ground where I alternate between head down aggression and over-passivity. Context, context, context. If I keep repeating it it might sink in. Eventually.

tech
06-28-2004, 02:57 AM
Good bet. I don't expect to see a T a lot of the time in that spot. A slowplayed flush worries me more.