PDA

View Full Version : health insurance for poker players?

chipbrave
06-27-2004, 04:10 PM
I have been between jobs, and thus playing a lot of poker. I've realized
that I can support myself, atleast in the short term, through poker, and
the road block that I see is health insurance. I was wondering what any of
you use for Insurance. I am young and single, so wouldn't need real
extensive coverage. Your input in appreciated.
Thanks

astroglide
06-27-2004, 04:18 PM
back when i was contracting full time i used bluecross blueshield, and it only cost like $15/week. being 23 was probably a big factor though.

natedogg
06-27-2004, 04:23 PM
Buy yourself an individual health plan with a very high deductible. As a gambler you probably realize that health insurance, indeed any form of insurance, is a bad bet. Minimize the house edge by taking the highest deductible you can, the bluecross blueshield offers a 4800 deductible plan.

Then you can open a medical savings plan, which is tax free going in, and tax free coming out when used for medical expenses. It also acts just like an IRA in that you can take distributions when you turn 59 and a half.

natedogg

ACPlayer
06-28-2004, 08:53 AM
$15/week - you must have been contracting during the Korean war /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, in Mass where I have my healthcare from (i know, long story) any self employed person who files estimated taxes can buy health care under a group plan at the same rate paid by all small biz. Presently about $260 per month.

UTGunner
06-28-2004, 09:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, in Mass where I have my healthcare from (i know, long story) any self employed person who files estimated taxes can buy health care under a group plan at the same rate paid by all small biz. Presently about $260 per month.

[/ QUOTE ]
What companies offer this?

Is this required by the state?

(For those unaware, Massachusetts regulates insurance very closely)

ACPlayer
06-28-2004, 10:22 PM
I believe they all do. I get mine from BCBS of Mass.

Zeno
06-29-2004, 12:53 AM
I also recommend Blue Cross/Blue Shield for self-employed individuals. I recently was able to get a 30% reduction in my monthly health premium though them. I am a single older male (50) and was paying $230 a month at the start of this year. But through a new set up that excludes coverage for alcoholism and mental disorders, I was able to get the monthly premium down to $164. I suggest others look into this and see if this feasible through your own health plans. It can provide substantial savings.

-Zeno