PDA

View Full Version : pairs

hoc
06-27-2004, 03:12 PM
how do people play small to medium pairs,ive read a book by phil helmouth that says that you should try to get them heads up, i play nl and would think that the small amount you would win either representing the bigger hand and when you hit heads up would be less than the amount you would win if you just called and got more people into the pot. i would also think that the risk involved in phils play is much more. i am however not quie in phils class so i was hoping for som ideas on it

goose58
06-27-2004, 04:50 PM
Small pairs 8's and under you should limp in and hope to flop a set(trips). It goes: No set, No bet.

Heads up is completely different so I'm not sure.

Medium pairs(9's,T's,J's) you raise slightly.

In either case if you hit a set, you should bet into your opponent because your hand has deceptive value(If it flops AJ6 and you have pocket 6's, nobody is scared of that six so they might think your bluffing or pot stealing).

Anybody feel free to correct me if your opinions differ.

deacsoft
06-27-2004, 05:03 PM
You want them heads up because your likelyhood of having the best hand and your win percentage (could possibly be looked at at the same thing) increase tremendously. It also greatly helps if your post flop play is superior to that of your opponent. It is commonly less difficult to out play one opponent than it would be two.

hoc
06-27-2004, 05:19 PM
i understand that the win % is higher, but would these plays be more profitable in the long run.

deacsoft
06-27-2004, 05:35 PM
Absolutely. (That is heads up)

06-27-2004, 06:45 PM
i think that most player will fare better by trying to limp and get their small/medium pairs in with as many other players as possible. if you hit a set, get money in, if you don't, proceed with caution.