PDA

View Full Version : Name three beers worth trying.

Sredni Vashtar
06-27-2004, 05:26 AM
My actual favorites are too hard to get, so here's a list of three pretty good ones:

Stella Artois

Stella Artois (www.stellartois.com)

Anchor Steam

Anchor Steam (www.anchorbrewing.com/beers/)

Fullers ESB:

Fullers (www.fullers.co.uk/frames.phtml)

Any recommendations?

SV.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-27-2004, 09:08 AM
Harpoon IPA
Pilsner Urquell
Boddington's

ACPlayer
06-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Hoegarden

Light, pleasant delightful. Belgian.

Clarkmeister
06-27-2004, 10:51 AM
I haven't seen it in years, but Michael Shea's Irish Amber was my favorite in college.

Nepa
06-27-2004, 10:52 AM
Here are 7. The Lager, Porter and Black and Tan are the Best. If you have the pick one, take the lager.

Yuengling beer (http://www.yuengling.com/beers.htm)

Rushmore
06-27-2004, 11:55 AM
Sredni,

Your selections are excellent. I cannot improve upon them.

Someone recommended Boddington's, and I think there's something to be said for expanding the list to five, and then throwing in a Newcastle, just for those who do not know.

Oh, and maybe a Tecate in a can with some huevos rancheros at 8:00 AM.

Ok. Six.

MMMMMM
06-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale (not his Pale Ale, whatever you do). This is an expensive ale, quite tasty and unusual, and worth it on occasion. Best served quite chilled (as with all ales IMO).

If you like really strong thick dark stuff, almost syrupy (which I do), you might try McEwan's. I haven't had it in a long time, let's see: there's McEwan's Scotch Ale, McEwan's Edinburgh Ale, and another one.

Best way to chill ales: wait for a good snowfall and thrust the bottles into a snowbank outside your door or window. Reach for one as the spirit moves you.

sthief09
06-27-2004, 01:56 PM
Natty Lite

$6 for a 12 pack in NYC. doesn't get any better than that

scalf
06-27-2004, 02:05 PM
/images/graemlins/blush.gif fresh regular cheap coors, when ya get it fresh at the shop in golden..seriously, a nutty, fresh, lively brew..

gl

/images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

DonWaade
06-27-2004, 02:43 PM
Top 5

1. Newcastle
2. Newcastle
3. Newcastle
4. Newcastle
5. Newcastle

smudgex68
06-27-2004, 04:09 PM
Only 2 of those are beers, the other is a lager.

benfranklin
06-27-2004, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Only 2 of those are beers, the other is a lager.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lager is a kind of beer. Beer has two major subdivisions, lagers and ales, depending on the fermentation process and the type of yeast. Lager is a beer made with a bottom-fermenting yeast, and is fermented at cooler temperatures (50-55F) and for a longer period. Ale is made with top-fermenting yeast, and is fermented for a shorter period of time at around room temperature.

BTW, my three favorite beers are all brewed in my basement. No contest.

Gamblor
06-27-2004, 05:13 PM
way to chill ales: wait for a good snowfall and thrust the bottles into a snowbank outside your door or window.

You are officially welcomed as an honourary Canadian Citizen.

Are you sure you don't already live here?

SinCityGuy
06-27-2004, 05:49 PM
Harp Lager

High Roller Gold (Microbrew at the 777 Brew Pub, Main Street Station, Las Vegas).

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-27-2004, 06:28 PM
BTW, my three favorite beers are all brewed in my basement.

Half the guys in my regular home game are in a brewers club, and many of the best beers and ales I've ever tasted are at our games.

Tuco
06-27-2004, 06:43 PM
The best beer I ever had was in the Guiness brewery in Dublin (or anywhere in the Emerald Isles for that matter.)

For some reason, it doesnt travel well at all. Cans are closer to the real taste, but not near as good.

Second place is a beer brewed in Alberta by Big Rock Brewing. Their Traditional Ale is a masterpiece. Dont think they export tho.

My third would be Red hook.

Tuco.

MMMMMM
06-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Many years ago I tried a little bit of brewing at home. The interesting thing seemed to be that the brew was by far the most delicious when it was only about half-done. After that it lost much of the rich complex flavor and gained sharpness as the alcohol content rose.

uuDevil
06-27-2004, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and maybe a Tecate in a can with some huevos rancheros at 8:00 AM.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or warm DOS EQUIS in a can with some C-rations at 3 AM. Not generally recommended, but if you're just glad (and lucky) to be alive, it hits the spot....

benfranklin
06-27-2004, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Or warm DOS EQUIS in a can with some C-rations at 3 AM. Not generally recommended, but if you're just glad (and lucky) to be alive, it hits the spot....

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes the best beer in the world is the one in your hand at the moment.

Jimbo
06-27-2004, 07:32 PM
Any beer with tomato juice in it.

Jimbo

Diplomat
06-27-2004, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Sometimes the best beer in the world is the one in your hand at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a winner.

-Diplomat

Oski
06-27-2004, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale (not his Pale Ale, whatever you do). This is an expensive ale, quite tasty and unusual, and worth it on occasion. Best served quite chilled (as with all ales IMO).

If you like really strong thick dark stuff, almost syrupy (which I do), you might try McEwan's. I haven't had it in a long time, let's see: there's McEwan's Scotch Ale, McEwan's Edinburgh Ale, and another one.

Best way to chill ales: wait for a good snowfall and thrust the bottles into a snowbank outside your door or window. Reach for one as the spirit moves you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam Smith Organic Lager is pretty hard to Beat.

I second the Tecate with breakfast as well. THAT is real Mexican beer.

Zeno
06-27-2004, 09:34 PM
Here is a link to a list of the 30 'best beers' of the world. Best Beers (http://www.1-800-beer.com/top_30_beers.html)

I enjoy IPA by Redhook and Full Sail Ale. But there are many great beers to choose from.

In addition, Monks throughout Europe and in America brew great beer and brewing is a long established tradition at many monasteries. In fact, many years ago I had a wonderful dinner with friends in some restaurant along the San Antonio River Walk. I have unfortunately forgot the name of the establishment but they served a beer brewed by some local monks. It was indeed excellent.

-Zeno

nolanfan34
06-27-2004, 09:55 PM
Can't let this thread go by without putting in my 2 cents.

1. Mac & Jack's African Amber - You'll have to come to Washington for this one, they don't bottle it so it only comes on tap. They dry hop it in the keg itself, so it has a strong cascade hop bouquet.

2. Anything from the Rogue brewery in Oregon - they have some Imperials that will knock you on your ass.

3. Olympia in the stubbie bottle - hard to find, but a classic. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BeerMoney
06-27-2004, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Natty Lite

$6 for a 12 pack in NYC. doesn't get any better than that

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you crazy?!?! Natty ICE!! The stuff is Jet Fuel!

Has anyone ever heard this phrase about a loose girl:
"She goes down like free beer."

A real classic.

BeerMoney's picks:

Harpoon IPA
Harpoon Winter something
Narragansett

Bill Murphy
06-28-2004, 01:09 AM
Singha(ok, its a malt liquor). Available at Noodles in Bellagio. Also prominently mentioned in Positively Fifth Street... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

For a "corporate" beer, Michelob's Amber Bock is pretty damn good, either draft or in the bottle. Gotta be really cold, tho.

Pacifico is the best Mexican beer, and by a long ways. Light, cool & refreshing. Don't you dare put a lime in it.

astroglide
06-28-2004, 01:10 AM
jagermeister!

slavic
06-28-2004, 01:36 AM
Shiner Bock -

It's a heck of a beer, but loaded with sugar so the Hangover is a bitch.

cold_cash
06-28-2004, 01:51 AM
I was shocked to see that Pabst Blue Ribbon failed to make this list. What a joke.

My choices --

Full Sail Amber Ale (My personal favorite)
Dead Guy Ale
Black Butte Porter

ThaSaltCracka
06-28-2004, 02:36 AM
excellent picks, you forgot Redhook ESB though and anything from Widmer.

daveymck
06-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Has been mentioned already but King of Beer (not lager or the other stuff you americans call beer) has to be Bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale (or Dog as its known locally, as guys would tell the missus were taking the dog for a walk when in fact they were going to the pub for a quick bottle). It has rarely been served on tap only time I have ever seen it was when I was in the States in a bar in San Dieago. When away from home (I am form near Newcastle) it tends to be what I drink as it always will remind me of home. As an aside my freinds mam who was a nurse said not to drink it as a Ward at the local hospital was full of alcoholics all of whom drank brown ale.

Someone mentioned Mqewans one you were missing was Mqewans export but have to say its not the best.

Other good English Beers have to be Theakstons Best (although has gone downhill recently) and the Timmy Taylor brand. Lots of other good beers as smaller breweries are trying to fight back against the corporates.

Best other countries beer has to be either of the Leffe beers from belgium, the Blond in Particular is worthwhile getting a hold of.

Stella has been mentioned but personally I think its overated. One beer to try (probably just once) is special brew.

We also get cider over here generally are about the same strength as beer but I have been to beer festivals where you get a pint as normal but it is 20% strength. Good days have been had at the festivals (apparently memory tends to go).

La Brujita
06-28-2004, 08:35 AM
1. Chimay Blue
2. Duvel
3. Chimay Red

I like Belgian beers.

Sheriff Fatman
06-28-2004, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Has been mentioned already but King of Beer (not lager or the other stuff you americans call beer) has to be Bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale (or Dog as its known locally, as guys would tell the missus were taking the dog for a walk when in fact they were going to the pub for a quick bottle). It has rarely been served on tap only time I have ever seen it was when I was in the States in a bar in San Dieago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakiest moment ever, picking up a menu in Greenville, South Carolina and seeing Newcy Brown being offered on draught!

Shocked was an understatement!

As for top beer, Timothy Taylor's Landlord wins hands down for me.

nicky g
06-28-2004, 09:05 AM
Belgian beer is good.

I had a very nice local beer in the Cotswolds in England but I foget its name. I doubt you could get it in more than a few local pubs. Not very useful information but there's a moral in there somewhere (travel, er, local beer, um,hidden gems, yah, something).Another extremely good beer is Adnam's Broadside, brewed in Southwold in Suffolk. Unfortunately it travels extremely badly so is hard to get outside a ten mile radius; however they set up a replica brewery in London so you don't quite have to go to the back of beyond to try it(yet to taste the results though) .

A good pint of Guinness is delicious.

Belgian cherry beer (not really beer I think) ie Kriek is a girly drink, but also delicious. The best brand I know is Belle Vue.

All lagers widely available in the UK are disgusting. Spitfire ale and Old Speckled hen are both OK. I remember liking Theakstons when I was younger but it's been a while.

I don't quite understand the NBA fuss but it's been a while since I had it, should try again.

daveymck
06-28-2004, 09:30 AM
I have to say Adnams is everything that is wrong with southern beer, warm and flat. The Broadside is the best of a bad bunch.

When down south (like now) I drink lager in general.

Sheriff Fatman
06-28-2004, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have to say Adnams is everything that is wrong with southern beer, warm and flat. The Broadside is the best of a bad bunch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like a true Northerner and 100% accurate!

nicky g
06-28-2004, 09:39 AM
Nooooooooooo it's delicious. Have you tried it in Southwold? They say it's a completely different drink after travelling - I don;t know (I always find that people exaggerate the effect of this on Guinness). I've only ever had it at source; warm and flat isn't at all how I'd describe it - although some beers are good warm and flat (eg Speckled hen).

Sheriff Fatman
06-28-2004, 09:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
although some beers are good warm and flat (eg Speckled hen).

[/ QUOTE ]

Blasphemy! - Moderator, ban him quickly please /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

daveymck
06-28-2004, 09:49 AM
I'm with the Sheriff beer should never ever ever be warm ever!!!!

The Adnams Broadside I had was in Oxford two months ago.

daveymck
06-28-2004, 09:52 AM
I think its bizarre the North South divide in drinking habits for such a small country, for example Lager Tops only ever hear people in the south asking for, up home if you ask for lemonade in your beer its called shandy.

slamdunkpro
06-28-2004, 09:54 AM
My all time favorite
Crown Lager from NSW AU - sorry not exported

Close Second
Fuller's 1987

Third
Original (must be fresh) Coors

nicky g
06-28-2004, 09:54 AM
Well it's not actually warm; it's just not chilled. I say when in a country drink what they do best; in belgium or Germany I'd almost always drink lager; over here all the lager's liked chilled pee (peed under license) so I drink something with some real flavour - Guinness or some sort of bitter/ale. I don't think any kind of beer connoisseur would ever accept that any English lagers are better than ales; although to be fair, they are twats.

nicky g
06-28-2004, 09:57 AM
I missed your Leffe comments, definitely good stuff. THough I prefer the brown to the blond. Stella (Belgian stella, not the licensed stuff over here) is fine but it's not really pretending to be anything special.

Oski
06-28-2004, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was shocked to see that Pabst Blue Ribbon failed to make this list. What a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! Are you Frank Booth?

Sheriff Fatman
06-28-2004, 11:10 AM
I've just remembered a beer I sampled in a restaurant in Prague a couple of months ago.

It was a bottled dark beer, made by Hoegaarden, called Forbidden Fruit. About 9% strength and absolutely gorgeous stuff.

Cptkernow
06-28-2004, 11:11 AM
Mcewans Champion Ale.

7.5% so treat with respect.

turnipmonster
06-28-2004, 11:21 AM
1) Westmalle
2) Orval
3) Chimay

--turnipmonster

Cptkernow
06-28-2004, 11:28 AM
I cant drink lager on tap fromm a pub.

I would say Necastle Brown was an OK tipple. I find most real ales preferable and bottles of newcastle are a fall back if I find myself in a pub with no decent ales or that keep there ales baddly.

I would have to say the best thing i have ever drunk is Guiness in Ireland. This stuff does not travel or the brewery in temple gate London (which is closeing down) must be useing a different recipe because I dont like the stuff to much in the UK.

nicky g
06-28-2004, 11:31 AM
If you;'re ever in London go to Quinn's in Kentish Town (two mins walk from Camden Town tube station). The Guinness there is lovely. Last time I was in Dublin I didn;t notive it being massively better. Who knows why.

nolanfan34
06-28-2004, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
excellent picks, you forgot Redhook ESB though and anything from Widmer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with ya on Widmer. But I haven't been a Redhook fan since they sold out to Miller. I don't think their beers have been the same since then.

I would also say that anything from the McMenamin's pubs is also great. The Fish Tale Ale's pub here in Olympia also has some great beers, and a really superb ESB.

Victor
06-28-2004, 12:02 PM
If you are ever in Cleveland you must go to the Great Lakes Brewery. It is possibly the best beer in America. Try the Dortmunder Gold. If you are lucky enough to be there in the winter the Christmas Ale is the best beer I have ever had.

Diplomat
06-28-2004, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm with the Sheriff beer should never ever ever be warm ever!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? Cold Guiness tastes like ass in a glass. Room temperature please.

-Diplomat

ThaSaltCracka
06-28-2004, 12:38 PM
I still like the Redhook ESB and the Winterhook. My bro got me hooked on Widmer, which probably makes the best Hef, EVER! I like Rogue too, especially their Dead Guy Ale. What do you think is the best WA beer?

La Brujita
06-28-2004, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) Westmalle
2) Orval
3) Chimay

[/ QUOTE ]

Orval was going to be on my list, perhaps fourth. It probably is better than Duvel I just drink the other more. What is Westmalle like?

nolanfan34
06-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Best WA beer? Man, that is very hard to decide. I really really like Mac and Jack's Amber. I think it's the best, but it's a personal preference thing. Dick's Danger Ale, out of Centralia (or is it Chehalis?) is also one of my favorites.

Hale's Ale IPA is also a good one. Hale's has a LOT of good beers now that I think about it. I can't pick just one.

On the flip side, anything from The Ram restaurants and breweries is highly overrated.

daveymck
06-28-2004, 02:30 PM
They do Guiness extra cold now, never been a big fan of the black stuff but the odd pint of extra cold is palatable.

After this discussion was buying my tea at the supermarket, there in the fridge a big bottle of Leffe Blonde which will be being consumed later. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

ThaSaltCracka
06-28-2004, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the flip side, anything from The Ram restaurants and breweries is highly overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]
You should also include Rock Bottom as well. I really like Hale's Cream, its a tasty beer as well. I am going to have to keep an eye out for that Danger Beer.

nolanfan34
06-28-2004, 02:48 PM
You'll probably have to come pretty far south, you can find it on tap here in Oly, and in the bottles in some of the stores, but I don't know that I've seen it even as far north as Tacoma. Top Foods down here sells a Dick's variety 12-pack, which had 12 different varieties in it. Some hits, some misses, but overall it was fun to try.

Agreed on Rock Bottom.

Philuva
06-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Sierra Nevada is my everyday beer, but the above 3 are very very solid.

Oski
06-28-2004, 03:02 PM
Ok: This one does not travel well, so you must go to the source.

Cave Creek Chili Beer.

This is from Cave Creek, Arizona, which is about 35 min. N. of Phoenix. The beer is bottled with a chili inside. If you get a nice, fresh, chili beer you get some "heat" which mixes well with the cool beer.

On a 110 degree day, it is a great experience to have a bowl of chips and salsa, and a cold chili beer.

(This is something to TRY, I doubt it will become part of your regular lineup).

turnipmonster
06-28-2004, 03:21 PM
I have only had the Double, but it was quite good. Very hard for me to describe, perhaps less of an aftertaste than orval although sort of along those lines.

I even like the more ordinary belgian beers quite a bit, like De Konnick. once I visited their plant and we all did shots of yeast. kind of weird, but the belgians I was with said it prevented you from getting sick.

--turnipmonster

ThaSaltCracka
06-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Maybe I will go to Larry's Market, they have a wide selection of lesser known beers.

WEASEL45
06-28-2004, 03:46 PM
Asahi

Oregon Honey Ale

Ray Zee
06-29-2004, 12:47 AM
you wimps that drink one and quit they need to be classified. but after about ten they all taste the same.
so here goes. negro modello from mexico is by far the best beer. then i like moose drool from montana and black dog ale also from there.
if you must drink american beer drink bud as they make sure it is fresh in all the stores. it is the only beer company that takes out any old cans off the shelves.
for canadian beer kokeenee made in creston b.c. might be the best you can get easily in stores. as well as labatts.
obviously SV is not a beer drinker. try again.

Boris
06-29-2004, 01:20 AM
Pilsner Urquell might be the best macro brew ever made. I love that stuff, especially on a hot day.

slamdunkpro
06-29-2004, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
for canadian beer kokeenee made in creston b.c. might be the best you can get easily in stores.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to nitpick - but it's Kokanee isn't it?

benfranklin
06-29-2004, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you wimps that drink one and quit they need to be classified. but after about ten they all taste the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a local brewery in the Midwest that had a great slogan: The beer to have when you're having more than one.

[ QUOTE ]
i like moose drool from montana and black dog ale also from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both great!

[ QUOTE ]
if you must drink american beer drink bud

[/ QUOTE ]

Best regional American beer: Leinenkugel
Best national American beer: Old Milwaukee (consistently beats Bud/Millers/Coors in brewfests)

[ QUOTE ]
obviously SV is not a beer drinker. try again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that a good many of the responses here were not from serious beer drinkers. The only reasons to go outside of the US is for Irish stouts and European pilsners.

Gamblor
06-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Negro Modello is gold. Pure gold.

As well as Negro Leon. Corona is piss in comparison.

But no no no, Ray. Kokanee is "the (discount) beer out here."

You want a Canadian beer, get Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale or Sleeman Cream Ale. Unfortunately, bottles/cans don't do these beers justice.

Try Quebec's Maudite if you're adventurous.

You want to know beer? www.beer.com (http://www.beer.com)

HDPM
06-29-2004, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
then i like moose drool from montana ... if you must drink american beer

[/ QUOTE ]

It's okay Ray, Montana is technically part of America too. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

HDPM
06-29-2004, 06:02 PM
For malt liquor I like Mamba Malt Liquor. I think it's from the Ivory Coast. Very nice on a hot day. I am not a malt liquor aficionado however. Singha is good as well.

Agree for the most part on Pacifico, although I like Bohemia a lot out of the Mexican beers. No lime in any of them except maybe tecate. I like the Miller ad discussing the cost benefit analysis of lime in beer vs. getting scurvey.

Nemesis
07-01-2004, 02:53 PM
i <3 the bud light. Of course they all taste good after 5 or 6

mikeyvegas
07-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Since it's in season, this is one of my favorite summer beers.

Bell's Oberon (http://www.bellsbeer.com/)

I'm also a fan of Harp's Lager. Cheers!

nothumb
07-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Ray,

I also like Negro Modelo and the Modelo Especial (much lighter, very good for those of us who drink the pale stuff).

On tap in all the local bars I drink Stella or Sierra, they all have one or the other, very good beers both.

I like Steel Rail Pale Ale from Berkshire Brewing Company out of Deerfield, MA. Very fruity, good and strong.

Domestics I drink Bud or Coors.

If you like the Belgian stuff try Ommegang out of Cooperstown NY, more of a barley wine than a beer if you want to be picky about it. Not for everyone but I dig it.

Also like Moretti Light and Dark.

NT

George Rice
07-22-2004, 11:14 PM
Since no one mentioned my favorite beer, I must. Optimator by Spaten Brewery (Munich). It's a dopplebock, which is a heavy malty lager--my favorite style, Spaten being my favorite one.

Next has to be Pilsner Urquell from Pilsen. The original pilsner beer, which bares no resemblance to american pilsners. Great hops flavor, but not hoppy.

Third. Hmmmmm... There are so many great ones. May depend more on my mood than anything else. Guiness of course. A good Weizenbier perhaps, or even a weizenbock. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a good hoppy one. Even Fullers ESB derserves mention. So many great beers and not enough time.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Of course you've got your Guinness, but you really should try Boddington's Pub Ale and if you like stout beers, Young's Double Chocolate.

chezlaw
07-23-2004, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For Pete sakes man get some Greene King Abbots inside you. Or the previously recommended Fullers ESB.

Warm and flat is how it should be.

chezlaw
07-23-2004, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoken like a true Northerner and 100% accurate!

[/ QUOTE ]

What are u lot on. First proper beer I had was superb quality Stones bitter in Manchester.

chezlaw
07-23-2004, 10:56 AM
I've seen some pretty wierd stuff on this board but Fuller ESB and Stella Artois on the same list!

Beer, Stella and ESB go together much like Poker, Me and Ray Zee.

Bloody hell you've made me wax lyrical. I'm off down the pub to recover.

The Dude
07-24-2004, 04:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Top 5

1. Newcastle
2. Newcastle
3. Newcastle
4. Newcastle
5. Newcastle

[/ QUOTE ]
Amen.

BadBoyBenny
07-24-2004, 11:05 AM
I'll go along with Pilsner Urquell thought it's been mentioned a few times already.

Delerium Tremens is excelent and very strong (as are most non-white Belgians). BTW I could name about 20 other Belgian trppels abbeys and dubbels I have loved but I'll restrain myself from going into a Belgian lovefest.

The third one for me is a tie between about 20 different beers for me, depending on what you like here are some suggestions

Alaskan Amber - Good for people who like sweet beer of Medium darkness

Fat Tire - Good for people who like light lagers

Mirror Pond Pale Ale - For those who like hoppier beers

Paulaner - Good but often overpriced

LaTrappe Quad - Used to be my favorite beer, the monastery has since sold their brewing operations and name to a macro brewer, I haven't tried it since and don't even know if they still make the Quad.

Analyst
07-24-2004, 01:40 PM
Well, if Anchor Steam is hard to get in your area, this may not be of any practical help but you should try anything made by Deschutes (Deschutes Brewery (http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/)). Especially good are the Black Butte Porter and the Mirror Pond Pale Ale.

That's only two, but I'll recommend against the Gordon Biersch brews to make up for it. They're not bad, but nothing to mail-order home about.

Cubswin
07-24-2004, 02:42 PM
Ill take a cold Old Style while watching my cubbies play over anything. Im surprised that no one has mentioned Smithwicks here...am i the only one who thinks this stuff is gold?

cubs

Oski
07-24-2004, 04:19 PM
Schmitt's Gay.

Ed Miller
07-24-2004, 05:30 PM
My beers worth trying are all on draught... as beer should be. As a result, you won't be able to go to the corner store to try all my beers, but life ain't always easy.

3. Pilsner Urquell on draught

This you can get in American bars. In fact, you can get it at the Bellagio bar right next to the poker room if you are willing to cough up eight dollars. Or you can go to the Crown & Anchor on Trop near Maryland Pkwy. and pick it up for a more reasonable $3 a pint or so. It's better (and ridiculously cheap and plentiful to boot) in Bohemeia... but what isn't, really?

It's the original Pilsner-style beer (made in Plzen which is somewhere in Kansas I think), and there is not a more crisp, pleasantly refreshing beer available. It is good from the bottle, but it seems to be a shade more bitter and a little too carbinated. The draught version is terrific.

2. Augustiner Hefeweitzen

This is available at the Augustiner Biergarten in Munich. You may be able to get it somewhere else, but I sure as hell don't know where.

I'm not a big hefeweitzen fan, but this beer is head and shoulders... it's a man among boys. It is what wheat was meant to be... it is the pinnacle of the wheat pecking order. Every wee grain aspires one day to be malted, worted, fermented into Augustiner hefeweitzen.

It's a filling beer, but as long as you don't eat too much, it's cheap and perfectly acceptible in Munich to get totally blotto, which is a nice perk.

1. Grimbergen Tripel

This you can get in assorted hamlets not the least of which is Brugge, Belgium (which is, itself, not at least a hamlet).

This is beer unlike any you or any self-respecting, lederhosen-wearing, accordion-playing, polka-dancing, Teutonic caricature has ever tasted. It's the Haut-Brion Laffite-Rothschild St. Emilion of beers... the Jan Vermeer of beers... the Heather Locklear of beers. It rules. A complex array of every fruit and otherwise pleasant taste you could imagine, and 10% alcohol to boot!

You have not truly had beer until you've had this one.

I also like Heiniken.

Oski
07-24-2004, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I also like Heiniken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heiniken? F@@k that sh!t! PABST BLUE RIBBON!

bogey
07-24-2004, 06:23 PM
yuengling lager, the best thing to come out of pennsylvania

Chah Ngo
07-24-2004, 06:42 PM
Burt Grant's Scottish Ale is the best Washington beer IMO.
(with the possible exception of your 5th Raineer pounder)

Nemesis
07-26-2004, 01:52 AM
yay for natty lite! get nattified. College student's rule.

brassnuts
07-26-2004, 02:26 AM
I glanced through most of the thread.

Surprised nobody said anything about Carlsberg, it's not the best, but definitely worth trying. Also, someone mentioned Optimator by Spaten. I second that. Can't go wrong with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Newcastle, or Guiness. Those are my regs. Guiness not so regular as it almost tastes too good, but it's not very alcoholic, also it's much much better on tap. If you like Guiness you've love Samual Smith's. Last night, I had this beer called Blue Moon. Harvey's in South Lake Tahoe is the only place I've seen it, but it was pretty good on tap. Oh yeah, its pretty hard to go wrong with any decent amber ale.

And by the way, the best Mexican beer is not Pacifico, two words: Negro Modelo.

And, Stella Artios is good but over-rated.

If you're on a budget, hit up the good old King Cobra, though technically it is a malt liquor. The High Life is cheap and not too bad either.

WillMagic
07-26-2004, 04:38 AM
My three favorites (granted from limited experience)

Dos Equis Amber
Red Tail Ale
Gordon Biersch Marzen

Will

Skjonne
07-26-2004, 08:13 AM
Something like 80 replies and no one mentioned Westvleteren?! Westvleteren is one of the six Trappist breweries of Belgium. Especially their "Westvleteren 12" is absolutely fantastic! I'll rather have a bottle of that than rockets against a LAG trice in a row! The beer is only sold one place in the world: At the monestary. The monks only sell it when they need funds, so you have to phone them and hear when the next sale is, and then queing with at hole lot of other people. There is a five cases maximum per car!

Beck's Bier from Bremen, Germany is nothing special at all, but their commercial during the Soccer European Championships 2004 takes a price: "You don't have to be Posh to suck on Beck's"

Munga30
07-26-2004, 12:08 PM
Flying Dog Pale Ale is my current pale ale of choice.

Fat Tire Amber Ale is perhaps my favorite beer ever, but I haven't had it in years, so its probably the memory that makes it taste best. Made by New Belgium Brewing Company in Colorado and not available in the east.

Arrogant Bastard Ale (http://www.arrogantbastard.com) This is an aggressive beer. You probably won't like it. It is doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. I would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory -- maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it's made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beer will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you're mothing your words as you read this.

nolanfan34
07-26-2004, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Arrogant Bastard Ale (http://www.arrogantbastard.com) This is an aggressive beer. You probably won't like it. It is doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. I would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory -- maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it's made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beer will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you're mothing your words as you read this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can get this in my local supermarket...this quote is right off the back of the bottle. Classic.

dogsballs
07-26-2004, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My third would be Red hook.

Tuco.

[/ QUOTE ]

I regularly drinkl red hook and sierra nevada pale ale. sierra nevada much better imo.

dogsballs
07-27-2004, 04:30 PM
Anyone who likes guiness should definitely give Murphy's a try. Same kind o' stuff, stout brewed in ireland. Smoother and less bitter than guiness. I much prefer.

WDC
07-27-2004, 04:57 PM
My personal favorite is a Grain Belt in a chipped frosted mug with 3 big olives in the bottom. Yummy.

citanul
07-28-2004, 12:05 PM
Amazingly never got around to this thread:

Rogue (http://www.rogue.com) Dead Guy Ale

Bell's (http://www.bellsbeer.com/) Oberon

Goose Island (http://www.gooseisland.com) Hexnut

Consume and Enjoy,

citanul

Ashe
07-28-2004, 01:48 PM
koke