PDA

View Full Version : 8-16 Hand

sicvic
06-27-2004, 05:23 AM
Button is at seat 2, I'm in seat 5

Dealt: 99 I call
Seat 6 raises (very conservative/tight female player), Seat 7 folds, Seat 8 calls (unknown player), Everyone folds, I Call

Flop: 722 rainbow
I check, Seat 6 bets, Seat 8 raises, I call, seat 6 calls

Turn: 8
Check, Check, Bet, Call, Call

River: 9
Check, Check, Bet, Raise, Fold, Fold (no showdown)

Thoughts? Should I have three bet the flop? Seat 6 said she had TT.

Thanks.

elysium
06-27-2004, 09:59 AM
hi sic
you mention whether or not this is a tight type game; i'll assume here that it was tight with few seeing the flop, and little bluffing. no steamers or streaking bad aggressives, table undominated.

you should almost always raise-in with 99 so that you can later represent the A or K, or possibly fold out the right type opponent with KK those times the A flops.

on the flop, since this flop may have you against overs needing to improve, you must bet-out, even if you think the weak/ tight might raise. your hand is very vulnerable so you must make them pay the fullest to draw out. check-calling or raising is too likely to result in a check-around, and since you very probably can fold-out the seat 6 and get heads up against the LP, that removes several cards out of the deck that might hurt you.

on the flop, seat 6 isn't reraising, so a call by you might seem reasonable but actually you should fold. you need to hit your 2 outer but the pot isn't offering you high enough odds to justify the call. both direct and implied pot odds are too low, even if you know that the seat 6 will call.

there are times to call 2 cold, but this isn't one of them. next hand.

Michael Davis
06-27-2004, 10:04 AM
No kidding, if seat six is who I think she is, you can probably fold on the flop. She won't bet at even a flop that ragged with just overcards, and she usually just limps with those, anyways.

I'd raise with 99 first in, always. I don't see many better hands than that. If you were threebet by seat six, you can fold to one bet on the flop.

Please understand that my advice is good only if I have the specific player right. Otherwise, none of it applies.

-Michael