PDA

View Full Version : small pocket pairs

riverboatking
06-27-2004, 05:06 AM
so i usually play no limit but have recently been trying out the 5-10 shorthanded tables on party. my question is should you play small to medium pp in early position?
if so should you be limping or raising as the first one?
i generally don't like playing 2-2 through 8-8 in early position and i rarely call raises w/ them.
it is difficult for me because in no limit pocket pairs are one of the most valuable hands however they seem much more costly in limit.
any help would be greatly appreciated

naphand
06-27-2004, 05:25 AM
Try searching the forum, this question has been comprehensively discussed.

riverboatking
06-27-2004, 05:31 AM
any suggestions for what to search under...should i just try pocket pairs?

fyodor
06-27-2004, 11:43 AM
search for "starting hands"

Basically though not too many will play 55 or less other than as a steal on the button or for free in the BB.

66 and 77 is a sometimes raise, a sometimes fold UTG

Fire away with 88 and up

That's my take on what I have read here in the last month and a half

Peter_rus
06-27-2004, 01:26 PM
I fold 22-55 UTG. 66+ i raise from every position. Pair is a very valuable SH. With you 66 UTG you would recieve answer from mdeium-big aces - so if aces don't flop you're very probable ahead. Also note that your 66 is more valuable than any AK-Ax (suited or no - doesn't matter),KQo, QJo - and other big ofsuit cards.

But if you can't bet flop like 29Q with your 66 HU - than probably you better fold it PF. Also never call a raise PF with any medium pair while not a BB. There are only two options - 3-bet or fold.