PDA

View Full Version : Time to move up?

skaboomizzy
06-27-2004, 01:29 AM
After a 8-9 day span that's been more successful than I ever dreamed, I've gone from about $50 to $660 at Stars. I know that kind of growth isn't the norm, so I have no delusions about turning this into $10K anytime soon. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SNGs are my primary thing as opposed to ring games. My question is should I move up to $20+2s, or hang around $10+1 some more? The reason I'm posting here is that I've played against a bunch of you numerous times, and y'all are really in the best position to critique my game. Are the 20s much tougher than the 10s? Should I maybe stick around the 10s until I get to $850 or so?

Disclaimer: I'm not a pro or even semi-pro at this point... I guess I'm more of a "serious hobbyist". I have a full-time job and only play a few hours a night during the week, and save my playing binges for the weekends. Maybe that would affect your thoughts on my variance.

DrPhysic
06-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Skaboomizzy,

I find little difference in toughness between $10 and $20. I am playing more on party which may make some difference, however, William keeps telling me that there is little or no difference at any level below $100. I think you can easily move up with 30+ buyins in your bankroll as long as you set a number at which you drop back. ie: if you start with $650, decide when you move up that if you drop back to 60% ie: $400, you go back to the next lower level, until you learn more or build it back up, then do it again. I have moved up to $30 twice, and had to drop back both times.

Opinion for what it's worth. I am as you know an SNG guy at a somewhat similar level to where you are.

Doc

PrayingMantis
06-27-2004, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I maybe stick around the 10s until I get to $850 or so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely not. Playing 10$ SNGs, at your level (as a 2+2er, and a thinking player), and with your current bankroll, doesn't look very reasonable to me. You should probably play regularly at the 22-33 by now.

Edit: But the most important thing is that you'll do what is comfortable for you. If you feel you want to keep practicing at the $10 until you have $XXXX bankroll - it's your choice. But I surely don't think that the 22$ are twice harder than the 10$, and that the 100$ are ten times harder. Very far from it.

TylerD
06-27-2004, 02:35 PM
In my experience the $20 are significantly tighter than the $10 games on Stars, thats not to say they're not profitable, but adjustments must be made.

I would recommend moving up the $15+1 (or the $25+2) Turbo SnGs that Stars now offers (5 minute blinds instead of 10). The $15 games are looser than the $10 and obviously last less time. I was reluctant at first to play them as I thought they might give the better player less of an edge, but after playing about 50 of them (actually at the $27 level) I can highly recommend them.

skaboomizzy
06-27-2004, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the responses, all. I'll be camping out at the $20s all day and seeing what happens.

Tosh
06-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Am I be really confused but I thought you already played $200 SNGs ?

Anyway the play does improve a decent amount at each Stars level, not that you'd have trouble with $20 though.

skaboomizzy
06-27-2004, 09:45 PM
$200 SNGs? Maybe after I win the lotto. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, today was fun. Not my best day, I finished down $40 through 8 SNGs including a few $15 turbos. There's still a few real loose callers early in the 20s but they seem to go away pretty quickly.

I'm pretty comfortable at this level and hope I can just find some consistency. Thanks to everyone who suggested I give it a try.

Tosh
06-27-2004, 09:55 PM
Yeah I think I had you confused with someone else.