PDA

View Full Version : at first i liked my play, now i'm not so sure

umdpoker
06-27-2004, 12:47 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

UTG ($24.45)
UTG+1 ($34.90)
UTG+2 ($57.48)
MP1 ($37.10)
MP2 ($75.60)
Hero ($23.90)
CO ($11.60)
Button ($62.07)
SB ($16.45)
BB ($47.65)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 raises to $6, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls $6, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($12.75) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 bets $5, Hero raises to $17.9 (All-In), UTG+2 calls $12.90.

Turn: ($48.55) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($48.55) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $48.55

SlyAK
06-27-2004, 01:00 AM
He raised to 12x BB pre-flop?? Wow, that's pretty impressive. With no read on this guy I would figure either a high PP, AK, or an absolute bluff. I would probably just get money in the pot ASAP and re-raise. Since there is already $6 in the pot, and you have less than $25, you may as well push PF. If your against AA so be it.

The problem with playing KK the way you did, (and I have played it the same way before), is that if an ace flops it becomes such a questionable holding and an aggressive player could easily bluff you out.

I like the push on the flop, your overpair is good more often than not here, and since no ace fell you need to assume your hand is good here.

My guess is he had QQ, flopped the set and then you rivered him.....

Sly

umdpoker
06-27-2004, 01:22 AM
hehe, he had ak, flopped nothing but overcards, yet decided to call my push anyways. his bluff was obviously fine, but his call of my allin was questionable at best. i love nl25.

Ezcheeze
06-27-2004, 01:36 AM
I would also reraise preflop. The main exception would be if my opponent was very predictable so that if an A flops i won't be folding the winning hand but can get away if im beat. Most players are not this predictable unfortunately and when that A flops it can be mighty hard to play.

Also, if for some reason your opponent would fold almost any of his hands preflop to your reraise then you would want to either call to decieve him or start reraising him with more hands. In this situation it looks like hes not going anywhwere though since he raised so much to start. Looks like you can get him all in preflop with probably the best hand, go for it!

-Ezcheeze

umdpoker
06-27-2004, 02:05 AM
pushing preflop is my standard play here. i am not even sure why i decided to flat call. my plan was to push with an ace free flop, fold if bet into when an ace comes. definitely weak-tight thinking. i was not sure if he would call my allin or not, but i have noticed that a lot of people have been folding to my re-raises preflop. i obviously am not re-raising with enough hands, but i wonder how many hands are re-raisable preflop. aa and kk are no-brainers, but what other hands are standard re-raising hands? i know that if i have a read on a maniac, then jj becomes a monster, but what if i am against a normal nl25 player? thanks.

SlyAK
06-27-2004, 02:06 AM
Wow, AK??? I figured at least AQ on the flop.... but really was thinking set of Queens. Still think re-raising PF is good, he wouldnt have folded AK after that big a raise.

I was playing today and had AA raise to $25 PF, ($5BB)... flop AT2r... checked around, I figure I'll slowplay this one. Turn 2... for aces full. I bet the pot just enough to put a short-stack all-in and he calls with...... T3?!? Classic.... hands like this give me faith that playing at this level is +EV.....

Sly

SlyAK
06-27-2004, 02:09 AM
I will sometimes re-raise with QQ or AK... but usually just call a raise and see what the flop brings. JJ possibly if short-handed or against a maniac. I even did a limp re-raise all in with TT last week against a maniac 6-handed. He called with 76s.... of course he caught runner, runner straight and took down the big pot!

Sly

umdpoker
06-27-2004, 02:16 AM
oh yeah, playing at nl25 is definitely +ev. i am a little scared that i will finally get my game down perfectly for nl25, and then get slaughtered when i move up to nl50 and beyond.

bunky9590
06-27-2004, 07:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
oh yeah, playing at nl25 is definitely +ev. i am a little scared that i will finally get my game down perfectly for nl25, and then get slaughtered when i move up to nl50 and beyond.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nonsense. he clownfish are ever present at Party up to the 200NL level. Just not as many the higher you go. though if you have two brain cells to rub together you can beat the game.

I just hate the buyin structure, so I play at Prima, stars, and UB.

bunky9590
06-27-2004, 07:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was playing today and had AA raise to $25 PF, ($5BB)... flop AT2r... checked around, I figure I'll slowplay this one. Turn 2... for aces full. I bet the pot just enough to put a short-stack all-in and he calls with...... T3?!? Classic.... hands like this give me faith that playing at this level is +EV.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, its amazing. I had a guy at my table last night (100NL) reload full stacks 3 times. I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer, I had to go to sleep.

Heres 1 hand to show you why he was broke.
He's down to 24 bucks now after bleeding chip like a shooting victim in his second stack. I get a free play in the BB with Q8o. Flop comes 822 rainbow. I bet 7 bucks, only smacky calls.

Turn Q. I check, he pushes, I insta call. he shows J3d (there was no diamonds on the board)

I should have went and got some Red Bull.

Finished session up 140.

bunky9590
06-27-2004, 07:51 AM
Oh yeah if you rerasie PF , you have to push.

Min raise would commit half your stack, just push preflop. 25NL party clowns will call with lots of stuff that you have stomped.